Tuesday, November 17, 2020

The Pete Evans Effect

I was reading today that Pete Evans' publisher is cutting ties with him, to the point that they've directed book stores that if they want to return his books, to contact them to return the stock - not just letting the books sell and be done with it. So far Big W, Dymocks and a lot of other booksellers have asked for the stock to be returned. And good on em I say

Why? What was the last straw? Was it his continuing stance on vaccinations? No. His $15000 light emitting jobby that allegedly killed COVID? No. He's ben siding up with David Icke - who's always had some interesting views lately - nah, he can have that. Him extolling the virtues of activated almonds? No, he's been getting stick for that for years. 

But posting nazi iconography, which he alleged he didn't know what it was - that was the last straw. The sonnenrad or black sun symbol was first used by Nazis. It was used by the bloke who shot up the Christchurch mosques a few years ago. It's now a known white supremacist symbol. 

I had a look at what he's posted, and yeah, not a great look. Especially not great when you seem to be promoting the MAGA/QAnon/Popularist tropes, and it appears you're going a bit crazy. 

That will do it. 

I'll admit to viewing the cartoon Evans posted and rolled my eyes. Was it ignorance or infamy which made him do it? Was he trying to be funny or ironic? One hopes for the latter. Well you hope that was the intent. He's taken he post down now. 

Decide for yourself:

Is this cancel culture? For me, no. This post is a steps too far, especially when you are a vocal Trump supporter. It's a step too - and he's taken it. 

I have an acquaintance who's a fan of this bloke. He's also a Trump supporter. And besides his regular trolling, in which he's also starting to sound a bit unhinged, I've been doing my best to give him no oxygen.  This guy thinks Evans is great. Their beliefs are the same. I can see him getting mad about all of this happening to Poor Pete. 

For me, I thinkthe publishers have done the right thing.

I just don't get why he feels the need to spew hatred and misinformation. For pity's sake, he's a chef. This is also the guy who wrote a paleo cookbook for kids which dietitians deems dangerous - oh, and his simmer sauces were taken off the shelves the other week because of allergy fears. 

I don't get why you'd be taking political and medical advice from a chef anyway. 

He might be a good cook. I definitely has some interesting ideas about health and wellness. Some of the stuff he's spouting I get to a point - and I love my activated nuts. They're yummy - but that's the only reason I love them - because they're yummy. 

But Evans has pleaded ignorance on the meaning of the sonnenrad. 

Ignorance is a funny thing. Pleading ignorance has got the world into many a pickle.

I say well done to the publishers for calling this out. 



Today's Song:



No comments: