Friday, February 5, 2021

Going back

It was surreal. Going back to the office after eleven months was akin to opening a time capsule.

I started at my current company on 17 February last year. I've just signed a contract for a second year. The last day I was in the office was, on my calculations, 11 March. I know I popped into the other building in April for ten minutes to get my annual flu shot. That was back before mandatory masks, excessing hand washing, no hugging, no sharing food and all the stuff we took for granted.

This was back when I was going to Sydney once a month, just as I was about to start at Faber, back before this COVID thing was classed as a pandemic. 

On leaving the office, I remember talking to my workmate. We thought we'd be back in a few months. 

Yeah, right.

So we're making tentative moves to go back to the office. Two days a week from next week. Currently, if we go in we're going to have to wear masks , but that's a small price to pay for a change of scenery.

I went in to town, having an appoint first, collecting the mail, treating myself to a bubble tea, before walking over Coathanger bridge to the office. Oh, there might have been a stop at Mary Martins' book shop too. The woman in the store caught be looking at the pretty books. I told her I hoped to have my book on there best sellers shelves one day. She said Jane Harper used to do the same thing. Seems I'm in good company. 


Stopping in at our book group bistro, I went and said hi the guys. Lunch has been booked for next week with a friend who I haven't seen in over a year. 

Amazingly, my pass worked. I swiped into the lift, then onto the floor. 

There was only one reason to be there. Pack up my desk. Pack up my workmate's desk. Put stickers on things for the office move happening on Monday. Then go home. 

The view hasn't changed. 


It took a few minutes to find the things we needed. Boxes. Stickers. Marker pens. The desk and the drawers. Seems things have moved a little. 


I had no idea what I'd left behind. Eleven months is a long time. 

I was a bit shocked by the crap in my desk drawers. In the next one down there was a glass keep cup. Remember them. I wonder when they will let us start using those again. 


Once there were stickers over my stuff - screens, labtop hub, chair, drawers - once I'd retrieved a perfectly wonderful phone charger, I started on my work mates' desk, doing the same thing. 

Then the last of the stuff was boxed up, so after paying a visit to nature, I went home, walking through the streets to the tram stop via Degraves Street (hoping to run into my favourite gay Nepalese waiter) and down Centre Way, where my favourite noodle bar is still trading. 


And being so steamy, I got home, only to throw myself under the shower to cool down. 

I' just a little excited to see actual human beings at work a couple of days a week. 

Today's Song:



No comments: