Tuesday, February 9, 2021

It's about the headspace

Returning to work in the office on Thursday, there are things I need to think about which I haven't thought about in nearly eleven months. 

This is what's going through my mind at the moment. 

1) Who is going to say 'big yawn' and other missives to the cat during the day.

I adopted Lucifer on 21 March of last year. Other than the month when he went to stay with my Mum, we've not been apart. I'll be leaving him in the morning and coming home around dinner time. How are we going to manage? Who is going to say, 'Big yawn', 'Big stretch', and 'Get off the sodding keyboard, animal!'

2) What do I need to take with me?

I discovered I had a heap of stuff in my desk drawers when I went in on Friday, but there are still things you need to take with you. Things like:

  • Office appropriate shoes - as Birkenstocks and runners are not for office wear - but they will be worn to and from the office.
  • AA and AAA batteries, because heaven knows, the batteries in my office mouse and keyboard are probably well dead by now. easier to have them on hand than source them at work. 
  • A new notebook - as the one I took home with me in March was filled months ago. Who knows what stationery is available.
  • Extra masks - as we need to wear one in the office. And mask brackets. Mask brackets make wearing masks a lot easier. 
  • My office headset - currently in a drawer around home. Haven't used it because I haven't needed to - used the computer mike and speakers instead.  
  • Lunch - as we have to eat at our desks, may as well get back in the habit of bringing in lunch unless I'm meeting a friend. 
This all feels like the first day of school again. 

3) When to do I go to work?

Do I go early, walk to the train station and be in for eight, or do I go later - and what does rush hour look like now? I think this is part of what is freaking me out - crowded public transport does not appeal

4) Who's going to be in the office?

Like I haven't seen these people in the flesh for eleven months. Will they still like me? Will they be friendly.

5) Oh, god, I have to brush my hair and wear make up. 

After nearly a year of living in Birkenstocks, trackkie dacks, t-shirts, ugg boots and jeans, they want us to look office appropriate. Like argh! Also, I just found out in the last weeks that makeup allegedly has a lifespan. It appears there is this little symbol on your makeup which tells you how long the makeup should last. It looks like this. 

All of my makeup is very out of date. I think I'll just forget I know this fact. 

As for brushing my hair, well - I do brush it regularly, but my Stevie Nicks mop has to be transformed into something a little more office appropriate. It was cut and coloured on the weekend, but even so

This takes time and effort. 

Maybe I should just work from home for a few more weeks...


Today's Song: 


1 comment:

Me, Myself, and I said...

Man, reading this made me super happy that the hospital gave our offices away to the respiratory department to store ventilators and to make another lactation room for the mamas. We couldn't have our offices back if we wanted them, so sayeth boss lady and uber-boss lady. Don't want it!! I liked being at the office, for the social aspect, but my officemates like to socialize too much, and it was so very distracting. And the though of putting on "real clothes" again makes me unhappy. I hope it goes well for you!!