Monday, February 8, 2021

The best thing in the school tuck shop?

 Today's facebook question. What was the best thing in the school canteen?

This is back in the day where fifty cents could get you a sausage roll and a Sunnyboy or Razz (which for those not in the know, was a frozen block of orange or raspberry cordial, sucking on one would last you most of lunchtime). These were the days when you wrote your order on the bag, placed your money in said bag, the lunch monitor took the bags to the office, and at 12.30, lunch, by some miracle, arrived in your classroom. This happened at both primary and high school. 


But if there is one thing I still think about, the one thing from the school canteen I wish could be sourced again, it would be Mrs Reed's double cut salad rolls from the high school canteen.

Mrs Reed was a bit of a legend. She ran the school tuck shop and it's army of volunteers for decades. 

I think double cut rolls are an Adelaide thing. You take a very, very fresh white crusty roll. You cut it into three or four slices, it's buttered and filled with grated carrot, sliced tomato, shredded lettuce, gherkins (another South Australian thing - or maybe it was my mum force feeding me them as a kid), a slice of cheese and maybe a little bit of mayo. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Everything in the roll was extra fresh. 

And I remember these as the best thing you could ever have for lunch.

I wonder if you can still get double cut rolls in Adelaide. They really were the bomb. 


Today's Song:

1 comment:

Me, Myself, and I said...

that sandwich looks AMAZING. I need one, stat. I love sandwiches....