Pointless public holiday.
Dan Andrews had a brain fart,
On one Election Eve,
A day off for the Grand Final
We want it, you believe.
It's Grand Final tomorrow.... so what?!
It's Grand Final tomorrow... no way?!
It's Grand Final tomorrow, the streets are all empty,
And nobody comes out to play.
Being a contractor, I lose a day's pay on public holidays- so I resent pointless public holidays. I watched my mandatory 15 minutes of finals football last weekend. I caught the final moments of the Hawks vs Brisbane match last week. That's enough footy for the year.
In my defense, I'm not really into football. I know if the Crows have won, what North Melbourne are doing, so that I can have some sort of conversation with Jay at the gym and I can talk a little about Hawthorn because I know too many Hawks supporters. But really, I don't care that much.
Jay was horrified when I told her I was seeing a movie during the grand final. She couldn't comprehend that I'd not be watching the game. I think seeing a film is a perfectly sensible thing to do. The grand final is only fun if you have some skin in the game, or you're at a house party when you can get into it. I remember one year being at a barbeque with a baby on my lap. Not my baby - but it was a good grand final - ended in a draw.
When I go to my yearly football game, normally when the Hawks play the Crows, I tend to take my book or my knitting, much to Barney and Norty's chagrin. I pay enough attention to the match. Being ADHD, doing two things at once comes pretty easily.
But I just don't care enough about football to have a public holiday for it. I can't be the only one.
No comments:
Post a Comment