Things you need to know:
- I've been feeling off colour for a few days. I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow. It's low grade but annoying. This is not helping me write.
- I asked my writing First Monday's Writing Group what to write - and they said name the best young adult novels I've read and why. So here goes.
- The Book Thief by Markus Zuzak - why - because who knew Death could be such a compelling narrator. (and yes, this is a Young Adult novel).
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas, about a girl from the wrong part of town in a private school and how race affects everything. It's amazing.
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. The first book in the series is a masterpiece.
- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - two kids with cancer meet and fall in love. I bawled buckets over this one.
- The His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman - amazing for its world building and an alternative Oxford.
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky - a definitive 90s coming of age story.
- And it pains me to put these on this list, but Craig Silvey's Jasper Jones and Honeybee are incredible, however, the actions of the author have had him cancelled. His works are wonderful. The authors actions are not.
3. I need to write to the real estate agent about the cockroaches. I don't like cockroaches - however, there appears to be an infestation in the ground floor flat in the block over from us (possible hoarder making life difficult.) I'm two floors up, I'm clean and I don't leave rubbish lying around. Everybody on the block is complaining about this. The girls who live about him can't use their kitchen. Not happy.
However, cockroaches are better than huntsman spiders and the cat enjoys killing them.
4. I've been enjoying the second series of The Gentlemen - but it's got very dark. Eddie has got very dark.
5. Coles Wensleydale with Cranberries is the bomb.
6. I need a bowl of ice cream now. And some panadol.
7. Writer's Group might just get me off my arse to tackle the next bit of this novel. 1997 - here we come.
No comments:
Post a Comment