Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Between Jobs

It's Wednesday afternoon, there's the taste of rain in the air, and as of about 3.30 this afternoon, I'm between jobs. 

This is very okay. 

I'm on a break - and I need it. This time last year I was in Paris. If you want me to be really specific, this time last year I was wandering around Versailles with a friend, and yes, I miss Europe and I miss Paris, and that was my last real holiday. 

Regardless, I'm on the hunt for my next gig, and I've gone into 'between jobs' mode. 

So, what does this mean. 

I'll be time boxing. There's no rest for the perceptibly wicked. I want to spend a part of each day doing the following:

  • Job hunting
  • Exercising
  • Spring Cleaning
  • and Writing. 

I want to be up by 9 a.m. 

Job hunting takes no more than an hour. Scan the job sites, make a few phone calls, go have a coffee with people. Once the job hunting is done, that's it unless a call comes in. 

Exercising means a couple of things - I have weights at least twice a week, cardio at least twice a week because I promised my boxing trainer, and a round or two of Pilates for the challenge. I have the time. I love that the gym is five minutes' walk away. And exercise is very good for my mental health. 

Spring Cleaning is also a given. It's time for a clean out - dig around in some cupboard, break out the paper shredder and make some space. 

As for the writing - it's back to the novels. To make the most of the time, this will be done in a library - either the Richmond Library or the State Library - I work best without distraction. 

Over the next week, I've got some what I call girlie admin. Leg wax, hair appointment, psychology appointment,  massage, podiatrist. It's nice to not have to fit these in on the weekend.

I'm also meeting an old colleague about some prospective work on Friday, I've got an initial online interview over the next few days, coffee catch ups to organise, lunches to schedule....

Oh yes, and I have a day of paid work cleaning the temple. We're looking for a cleaner for the temple, in the meantime, I'm the cleaner. I have the time. 

Oh, and I would like to bring back the black and white photo of the day challenge. I like being creative. 

I'm not going to be bored. 

Oh yes, I've also got a book launch tomorrow night, a house cooling party on the weekend, an author talk Tuesday, a play next Friday and Saturday...

I just know I have faith that I'll be back in a great job with good people in no time and I've just got to relax into this 'holiday'.

Today's song:



No comments: