There was a large concert at Rod Laver Arena last night - a charity event for Head and Neck Cancers celebrating the music of John Farnham.
John Farnham is a legend. I grew up with him. As a child of the seventies, we grew up with Sadie the Cleaning Lady and his amazing Beatles cover of Help.
Of course, later in the eighties, Whispering Jack came out, and it was played on repeat for years. I don't need to hear his version of You're the Voice again. Like most things that are over-played it gets under your skin. It's become a theme song, an anthem - in some ways, a proxy national anthem. Of course, anybody over the age of forty knows the words to it.
He sang the lead with the Little River Band for a while, taking over from Glenn Shorrock - and yes, I'm showing my age, but this was a huge thing when I was a teenager. And Down on the Border is a fantastic song. Farnham's voice is just magic.
And now we're here. Farnham is in poor health. He was unable to attend last night's extravaganza, but the cast of hundreds did an amazing job from what's been reported.
He is a legend. His voice has shaped a nation. Unfortunately, his failing health means we'll never hear his extraordinary voice again. Yet his music lives on.
And finds a new home and way to be performed. This First Nations version of You're the Voice is the only one I need to hear from now on. Having this sung in language makes it even more powerful. I'm sure he loves this.
No comments:
Post a Comment