Wednesday, September 9, 2026

The Best Biscuits

 I saw something on social media today - this bloke, who's platform is him ranting,"I BELIEVE THIS AND YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE MY MIND". He's pretty funny. He often does suburb reviews. 

Today, he was pontificating about biscuits. And the worst biscuits.

Ah, found it on Youtube. 

And see, I don't agree with him on some of his list. 

Sure, Marie biscuits are only there for making pie crusts, and even then, I prefer to use Nice biscuits. 

It's a fair call in regard to the ginger nuts. They are only good after they've been dunked in tea or coffee for a few minutes, save you crack a tooth. 

The only good ANZAC biscuits are home made. I had a colleague in Darwin who made the absolute best ANZACs - and I refuse to have them when they have been bought from a store. 

Kingstons are making a resurgence, particularly after the viral Kingston Peach crumble recipe has been doing the rounds. 


And I agree with what he says about the Orange Cremes. They really are the Turkish Delight of the Assorted Creams pack.  (Says she who loves Turkish Delight - often have one in the fridge.)

But he can leave the Chocolate Digestives alone. For me, they're a throwback to England - and they provide heaps of roughage, so you don't need to take Metamucil. 

And he does have a point with the Hundreds and Thousands biscuits - they're just badly produced fairy bread. But they still have Tic Tocs! I used to love licking off the icing as a kid. 



We also deviate on the Lemon Crisp. They're my absolute favourite. They don't taste like multi-purpose cleaner. I don't buy them, because I inhale them. I love the touch of salt on the surface - it's like eating a Margarita. And they aren't too sweet. 


Of the Arnott's stable of biscuits, I also adore Venetians. The currants and the white icing. They're thin and crispy. Love them. I've introduced many friends to these. 


I'm also amazed that he didn't bring up Iced VoVos - as they are nowhere near as good as they were when we were kids. Now, they have next to no toppings. The marshmallow used to be soft and fluffy. Not any more. 

On my worst list you find the following: 
  • Marie (cardboard substitutes)
  • Milk Arrowroot (they dry your mouth out - may as well be eating a Sao)
  • Chocolate Scotch Fingers (why ruin a good thing with chocolate?)
  • Milk Chocolate Royals (Too sweet, too fussy)
  • Orange Slice (as above, nobody likes them, they just fill in the assorted packet)
  • Oh, and any fancy flavour of Tim Tam that deviates from the plain. We don't need Iced VoVo Tim Tams - just fix the original Iced VoVos for pity's sake. 
Oh, and one last favourite, the Arnott's YoYo. It's something that you tend only to find in Adelaide, city of all good parochial food stuffs. Best served with lashings of butter while singing the YoYo song. 

You don't believe me? Just as the Nutbush can get any Australians in a room up on the dancefloor, the YoYos song will get anybody from Adelaide over the age of 45 singing a stupid advertisement from the 70s. 


I fear I may have some unpopular opinions here - but please, give the name of the person who loves Orange Cremes. They don't exist. 

No comments: