I found out something today. Mrs Norris, Mr Filch's cat in the Harry Potter series is named after a character in Jane Austen's Mansfield Park.
Currently, I'm listening to the audiobook of Mansfield Park, delighting at Austen's witty banter and funny characters, so I was rather delighted to meet the original Mrs Norris - a complete pain in the butt and a bit of a thorn in the protagonist, Fanny Price's side. It makes sense. Mrs Norris in Harry Potter is just the same.
Of course, Mansfield Park is one of the secondary Austens. Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility and Emma always ring out as the favourites. Mansfield Park sits with Northanger Abbey and Persuasion and the more underated novels (though I have a soft spot for Persuasion, and rather like the Netflix take on things - I know, an unpopular opinion.)
And if I was to name a cat after an Austen character, I'd probably go with something like Willoughby (horny scoundrel), Mary Bennet (misunderstood), Mr Collins (big, supercilious creep) or Brandon (Saviour)
Mind you, if I was to get another black cat, I'd call him Belly - short of Beelzebub. Beelzebub and Lucifer - what a pair. (Lucifer would eat a kitten - not going to do it.)
Anyway, that's what I discovered today.
I also wanted to get this out before my psychologist appointment, so I don't have to sit in front of the computer afterwards.
My job is done.
No comments:
Post a Comment