Wednesday, July 11, 2018

40 Days: Film Review - AntMan and the Wasp

It's tight-arse Tuesday. There is a new Marvel film out. It must be family movie night.

Family movie night normally involves grabbing my kid brother and seeing what ever blockbuster Marvel/ DC Comics movie which has come out ( or any other movie which involves car chases, things blowing up and people dying).

Last night was no exception.

I've grown fond of the Marvel Universe, although I can't say I've seen all the films. AntMan and the Wasp are no exception. It's great fun.

Okay, the plot is a bit farfetched. IMDB.com says, "In the aftermath of 'Captain America: Civil War,' Scott Lang grapples with the consequences of his choices as both a Super Hero and a father. As he struggles to re-balance his home life with his responsibilities as Ant-Man, he's confronted by Hope van Dyne and Dr. Hank Pym with an urgent new mission. Scott must once again put on the suit and learn to fight alongside The Wasp as the team works together to uncover secrets from their past."

Going in blind, and not seeing the first AntMan film, I really enjoyed this. It's light. It's silly. It's very funny in places and it is a great two hours of entertainment. The effects are awesome too.

Some standout moments for me included Paul Rudd, playing Paul Rudd (I still remember him in Clueless) and smaller parts played by Michael Douglas and Michelle Pfieffer. If I can look as good as her at 60 I will be a very happy woman. Evangeline Lily is also good as Hope/The Wasp,  as is Hannah John-Kamen as Ava/Ghost. My other top pick in the film is the most awesome Michael Pena, who lights up every scene he's in.

I've learned that with Marvel films you have to suspend a bit of belief and just run this it. There are some thought-provoking moments, but the most part, it is a very entertaining and very funny film with some laugh out loud scenes, well worth the price of a ticket. Just don't think too hard if you see it - especially when you wonder how Michelle Pfieffer can be in an alternate universe for so long and come out looking as good as she does.

The movie also ties in with The Avengers: The Infinity Wars (or as I call it, The Avengers - Everybody Dies) - and it is worth staying through the credits just for these scenes.

In all, AntMan and the Wasp is everything you want from a Marvel film.

Now I just have to search out the original AntMan. I'm only just filling a few of my Marvel gaps. This isn't a bad thing. Marvel films have a great heart and a great sense of humour to them (Think Guardians of the Galaxy) I wish I'd got on to them sooner.



Today's Song:


No comments: