Tuesday, March 16, 2021

A little bit of normal

 A bit of sanity returned this morning. 

I toddled down to my Wednesday morning cafe on this Tuesday, a day early as tomorrow's activities won't let me do this, to get my Wednesday morning coffee and mushroom toastie.

I love mushroom toasties, but I'm only allowing myself one a week. They're a bit evil. And I went to the moderately priced mushroom toastie cafe, Holla, not the overpriced and slow, but orgasmic mushroom toastie place, Hector's Deli. Seriously, Hector's mushroom toastie, with the obligatory Hectic Sauce, is a heavenly evil, brilliant sex you brag about in a bag, even it you have to change your top because you've got goo on your top, but it was so worth it, type stuff.  but the hipsters are notoriously slow and you pay above odds for this little bit of heaven. I has a meeting at 10 so it was a matter of getting the toastie and coffee and getting home. 

The other change this morning was I took my keep cup. For most of COVID, most cafes stopped the use of keep cups. Even when they worked out that COVID was basically transferred by droplets through the air, they still didn't take keep cups. 

I've got keep cups all over the place. One in my drawer at work. One at home. I bought one for the writer's retreat, drinking my tea, and my gin and tonics out of the vessel (Gin and tonics out of a sippy cup - unique...) My keep cups are glass, with a cork band - mainly because I don't like the plastic aftertaste you get from the other ones. They're just good to use. So much better for the environment. 

Today, Holla accepted my keep cup. 

And the world felt a little more back to normal again. 

Walking home, mushroom toastie in my bag, keep cup in hand, Pokemons being hunted out, Supertramp in my head, the five minute walk home felt good. 

What the Supertramp thing is, I do not know. Why Breakfast in America is playing longform in my head, I cannot answer. Maybe there are messages in The Logical Song, or Goodbye Stranger. Maybe I should listen more closely to Take the Long Way Home. For three days these songs have been on rotation. The chorus and coda get stuck in your head. The album came out when I was ten years old. I vaguely remember seeing the band play on Countdown. It's a comforting album. 

But all is fine with the world. Keep cups are back in vogue. 

We can get on with a bit of normality. 


There are times when all the world's asleep

The questions run too deep

For such a simple man

Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned

I know it sounds absurd

Please tell me who I am...


(Supertramp - The Logical Song)


Today's Song:



No comments: