Wednesday, March 24, 2021

The Brite Side

It's one of those songs which sticks in my head.

But nobody knows about it. 

A child of the seventies, teenager of the eighties, Blondie has always had a big part in my musical upbringing. Blondie was on Countdown. They sang One Way or Another, the only version of this which should ever be played. The One Direction version is just naff.

Over the years, Blondie has made it's way onto mixed tapes and burned CDs. I love boxing with Atomic playing in the background. I sing Dennis, in the car, loudly, normally inserting the cat's name. 

I've got stoned with Rapture playing in the background. But that was in London and the person supplying the weed, an old flat mate, had as tragic music tastes as me. We were the same age. He was more The Cruel Sea and Soundgarden to my Talking Heads, B'52s and Violent Femmes. But we met in the middle with Blondie, and a bit of Malawi skag weed that blew your head off. 

I remember cycling to work in Adelaide in the late eighties with Blondie on my Walkman. 

Looking at what comes up on Google, skimming through the clips that come up, I know most of the words to most of the songs. Blondie was just too cool. 

Blondie is a big part of my personal playlist now, and has instructed me on my musical tastes into adulthood. A little bit grungy, a little bit punk, a lot of rock and roll. Somewhat high energy, but with substance. 

I wanted to be Debbie Harry growing up. I look at her now, at 75, and I hope I age as well as her. 

Then you come across this old song you haven't heard in years. It's one of her solo treasures. Made for a television show she was in at the end of the eighties, when she was acting. The show was Wiseguy, and I only remember knowing I liked it, it had a great cast (that is even greater 30 years on) and that Debbie Harry appeared in a couple of episodes and sang this song.  I believe this only ever came out as an EP, with another song she sang on the show. I know I used to own it on cassette. Ah the days...

It's just a treasure from another era. And singing it in the shower last night, I was a bit bemused that I still knew the words. Thirty years on.

Funny how the memory works. I've been transported back to my early twenties. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing. 

Today's Song:



No comments: