Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Editing Class

 I'm a glutton for punishment. 

Work is ramping up and I've taken on a night course - a six week course on editing for creative writers. 

It's something I want to do. It's something that will be good for my writing. It's something that might get me back on track with the novel. 

On the great side of things, at the end of the course, 3000 words gets sent over to a senior editor at Allen and Unwin for a review and notes. 

The class appear to be lovely. Lots of people who've done the Novel course I did last year. Some people are where I'm at, some are nearing the end of their first draft. Some are a few drafts in. 

All of us struggle with editing in some ways. Which as writers, we all do. Editing sucks. 

But our teacher, Angela Meyer, has been an editor for years, handing out good, practical advice while discussing what is a lengthy and arduous process, particularly if you're writing in a more literary way. 

The 3000 words due in six weeks has me daunted. What do I send? Do I write something new. Is the the opportunity to work on the new start of the novel. 

It's only for six weeks, but I see this tax deductible gem as something that will be of value. 

These courses are always good for the soul. 

But the long days at work, followed by another two hours on zoom on a Monday night will take their toll. I came out of the first class exhausted. 

Ah well. You're only young once. 


Today's song: 



No comments: