Tuesday, October 5, 2021

The Quiet

I love the quiet. 

I miss the quiet. 

I don't think I'll be seeing quiet for a while. 

Because I'm training people who've come into the team at the moment. Trying to teach people how to do my job, which means I don't shut up.

According to my sister, I can talk underwater with a mouthful of marbles, and maybe that is so, but when you're training, you get to talk about stuff you don't want to talk abut. And after about half an hour, your mouth goes dry. And it's no fun. When I train, I take everything in 25 minute blocks - and hand over to my colleague every now and then for good measure. 

Then there's the meetings. 

Today looks like this: 

9.00-9.15:  Team stand up

9.30 - 10.00:  Upskilling the newbies

10.00-11.00: Review cycle with one of my streams and compliance. 

11.15-11.45: Compliance team catch up

11.45-12.15: Commercial and Industrial Continuous improvement meeting.

12.00-1.00: Optional meeting held by my boss to induct the newbies into the team. 

1.30-1.30: Quiet time / Lunch (Yes, I've cleared the calendar)

2.00-3.00: BAU Upskilling. 

3.00-3.30: Weekly catch up with the boss

3.30-4.00: Optional meeting with one of the other streams. 

I know a lot of people have calendars that look like this - but this is what the rest of the week looks like. 

I just want the quiet back. 

I'm an intorvert. I don't like people that much. 

Besides, I'm not sure when I'll get any real work done...



Today's song:



1 comment:

Me, Myself, and I said...

I spent the early pandemic training 3 new team members, one after the other, whilst simultaneously remodeling my house. Sheer insanity. I commiserate with you--it is so hard for an introvert like myself to be ON all day, in my own home, with a mask on. They gave our offices at the office away--yay for fully remote, but training remotely for this job is just not possible (believe me I tried). At the end of the day, poor hubs got the short end, because I didn't want to have a single conversation. I was so relieved when it was over...