Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Oblique Strategies

 I have nothing to write tonight. 

I was sitting in a mason's meeting on zoom knowing it will soon be over, listening to people philosophise. We've talked about other things, like COVID vaccinations, what it will be like going back to the lodge, and organising things for the next month, trying had to think about what to write. 

On my phone, I have a card deck called Oblique Strategies. It's great. You shake the phone and it gives you a way to look at your writing problem. The deck was created by Brian Eno, the musician, composer and producer who has worked with people like David Bowie, Bryan Ferry and David Byrne along with many others. 

While I was in the meeting, I shook my watch and it spat out "You are an engineer". What does that mean? Do I have to look and my shoes and grunt when writing? (sorry to the extrovert engineers who look at others shoes when talking to other people). 

I'll have another shake. 

"You can only make one dot at a time."

Hmmm. So I have to be precise. Too tired to be precise, but it's a good way going forward. But that reminds me of work too much at the moment. 

Shake again. 

"Build Bridges." What, Jeff Bridges?  This is some of the best television ever produced. It's worth a watch


Shake again. 

"Don't be frightened of cliches".

Okey dokey. Without a shadow of a doubt, for all intensive purposes, or all intents and purposes, I can't think of a single cliche, but then again, I've told myself this a million times that I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. 

Shake again. 

"Twist the spine"

Finally, some good advice. 

I'm going to sign off now and do some stretching exercises. 

I'll take that as an invitation to stop now. 


Today's song: 



No comments: