Monday, June 8, 2020

Oh, FFS

My step-dad called this morning. He had the devil up him. He was looking for a laugh. Every so often, when he wants a laugh, he calls me. Today, he wanted my reaction to a bit of news. My step-dad is like this. He likes to stir me up every now an then. It's very good natured ribbing. I've been known to call back and do the same. It's been going on for over thirty years.

The call went as follows:

Step-dad: Did you see the news?

It was about 9.30 am. I was in bed. But I knew about the news to which he was referring.

Me: I'm scrolling through the papers now.

Step-dad: I thought you would be ranting.

I could hear the giggle in his voice.

Me: I know about Tony Abbott  being made a Companion of the Order of Australia.

Step-dad: And you're not baying for blood?

Me: I'd expect nothing less from the Australian Federal Liberal and National Parties.


Seriously, these Queen's Birthday Honours have become as rubbish as the New Years Day and Australia Day Honours.

I'm certainly not begrudging the lady who's worked for Meals on Wheels, the doctors, the refugee advocates, the firefighters and anybody doing real community service receiving these honours. They're very much deserved.

But why do politicians get these awards? And why do they get the souped up ones - not just the garden variety OAs? Abbott has been effectively given the Australian version of a knightood?

Like what has Tony Abbott ever done for the country? According to The Age today, it reads



Pardon! Contributions to the Indigenous Comminty? Seriously?!

I've lost all faith in these awards. They're an archaic remnant of the British Empire. (Oh, and remember when Tony Abbott bestowed a knighthood on Prince Philip? Just putting that out there.

Oh, then I hear Bronwyn Bishop has been decorated.  Again, according to The Age,



This is the woman who took a chartered chopper to a Liberal Party benefit and was eventually relieved of her duties, being sent back to the back bench a few weeks later.

Like seriously!

I think my step-dad was upset. I think he was expecting me to be incendiary at the news.

For him, unfortunately not. I'll give Abbott his dues. He does give a lot to the community - particularly sporting bodies, the fire fighters and the life savers. But getting this award for allegedly contributions to the Indigenous community. For fuck's sake...

As I said earlier. These have become a tool of the LNP to give to tools. They've lost all credibility. And for this, I feel sorry for the tuck shop lady, the life saving club stalwart, the doctors, nurses, child advocates and everybody else who selflessly slaves away and is then awarded and honour (like my aunt and uncle, who recieved an OA for services to midwifery and country medicine after decades in the job).

I'm not angry. I'm disappointed.

Today's song:


No comments: