Friday, June 26, 2020

The Mask and the Tram

I live in Melbourne, therefore I have been generally self-isolated 99% of the time for the last four months. I've been working from home since the middle of March. I can count the number of people who have been in my flat in this time on one hand. I can count the number of people who've stayed more than 20 minutes on one finger. I have a log of people I've seen over the last three months. I've followed the rules. I've installed the app on my phone. I maintain social distance. I'm not flauting the rules. I am not in in one of the hotspot areas. I know many people who have been tested for COVID-19, but thankfully none have had it. I've been badly inconvenienced by the lack of travel options and the closure of state borders. I've been fined by arsehole parking inspectors. And like most of the rest of Melbourne. I'm craving a bit of normality. Oh, and I want to see my bloke. It's painful.

But I'm playing by the rules, no feeding into the conspiracy theorists and getting on with things.

But I've broken protocol in one aspect of life.

Once a week I take the tram and go into town in the middle of the day to collect my mail. After the $165 parking fine, and my complete resistance to paying anywhere up to $10 for short term parking, I'm biting the bullet and getting on public transport.

I look at it this way. It's 20 minutes in and 20 minutes back. In the middle of the day there are few people on the tram - social distancing is easy. I have hand sanitiser on me. And I wear a mask when I'm on the tram. I get my business done - today that was the mail and having my eyebrows weeded, then getting out. No lollygagging.



See. Quick. Easy. Precautioned.

I found out the following things about masks today:
  • They're not overly comfortable.
  • Nobody looks at you funny when you wear them anymore.
  • Your glasses steam up if they sneak over the top of the mask.
  • They are great for making you disappear. 
I felt invisible. 



View this post on Instagram

A post shared by pandorabehr (@pandorabehr) on

My quick stop into the city took a bit longer than I wanted. The joys of the 109 tram. A couple of homeless people caused some hassles, making complete nuisuances of themselves. We ended up spending 15 minutes on Victoria Parade waiting for the cops to come, only to have them bolt as they arrived. 

But I got to hide behind my mask and read my book. 

Masks might be scratchy and uncomfortable, but they have their uses. 

So I eventually got back, scrubbing my hands clean with hand wash for longer than the prescribed 20 second when I walked in the door. And I went back to work, pleased that I got to hide in plain sight on the tram.


Today's Song: