Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Crumbs

I made chicken schnitzels from scratch last night, knowing I haven't done anything like this in years. My colleagues warned me about doing this. One gave me tips about pounding them thin, the other told me about how he makes crumbed fish with LSA and black sesame seeds in crumb mix. 

Me, I just wanted chicken schnitzel. One of those comfort foods that are good for lockdown. 

Also, I can't remember the last time I crumbed something to eat. As a kid, one of my favourite dinners was crumbed chops. Being the granddaughter of a butcher, we always had some kind of meat for dinner and chops were a staple. But crumbed chops were the absolute best. And it was often my job to crumb the chops. 

Well, chicken schnitzels can't be that hard to do. Get some chicken breast, slice them in half, pound them out, douse them in a bit of flour, dip them in an egg, then tip them in crumbs. Repeat the last two steps to make them extra crunchy. I used panko crumbs last night. Then they go into the fridge for at least half an hour to set the crumb. 

Once chilled, they're lightly pan fry them til brown. As they were chicken schnitzels, to make sure they were cooked through, they were placed in a medium oven for twenty minutes. 

And I had a magic dinner last night. 

I've forgotten how much I like to cook. Even if it is basic stuff. Like chicken schnitties. 

And one day, when I'm home, I might have to ask my Mum to do crumbed chops again - I don't think she's done them since she and Dad split. You cover them with Worcestershire sauce - and you need a pile of mashed potatoes with them. It's an oh-so-seventies dinner. But gee they're good.


Hipster Lunch, Hector's Deli, Richmond

Today's song:

No comments: