Sunday, July 25, 2021

Sunday Stealing: Your Favourites

Snap Lockdown: Day Eleven

Mood: 

I rather like these favourite listicles. Makes things easy in many ways. And as I owe my writing group a chapter, and I've been procrastinating all day, I'm going to do a question and write 100 words. That will get something out ther for later tonight. 

Well that's the theory behind it.

I'm supposed to be down the Great Ocean Road this weekend - but as we are locked down again, this has not happened. At least I will have something to show for the weekend at the end of the night. 

Questions, as always, supplied by Bev at Sunday Stealing.

    Your favorite bands

Okay, in no order of relevance - I adore The Pixies. Most favourite band ever. After this, everybody else pales in comparision. But here are few groups I love. 

  • Talking Heads
  • The Rolling Stones
  • The Violent Women
  • Alt-J
  • The B'52s
  • The Hoodoo Gurus

    Your favorite actors or actresses

I have a few of these too. I have loved Kenneth Branagh since I was a teenager - he's technically amazing and he's wonderful with the Shakespeare. Philip Seymour Hoffman was incredible - lights up the screen. Timothee Chalamet is going to be one to watch. Frances McDormand has a great body of work, and if you haven't seen Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, hunt it out - she's incre. I'm on a bit of a Hugh Laurie binge at the moment. I tend to go for English actors over American ones - just because of their range. 

    Your favorite books

Oh here we go. Here are a few favourites: 

  • Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres. 
  • The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan
  • Too Many Men by Lily Brett
  • Unreliable Memoirs by Clive James
  • A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara
  • Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks
  • The Moor's Last Sigh by Salman Rushdie
  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
  • The Harry Potter books
  • Born to Run by Christopher McDougall
  • Hamnet by Maggie O'Farrell
  • Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders

    Your favorite movies

See another one which I could go on about forever. Some favourites include: 

  • Little Miss Sunshine
  • The Hunt for the Wilderpeople
  • Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
  • Priscilla Queen of the Desert (American friends, hunt this out - very Australian)
  • The Princess Bride
  • Best in Show
  • V is for Vendetta
  • Lost in Translation
  • The Intouchables
  • To Catch a Thief
  • In the Bleak Midwinter 

    Your favorite TV shows

Again, far too many to list here, but here are ten shows I'll watch over and over again:

  • The Young Ones
  • Suits
  • Lucifer
  • Six Feet Under
  • House
  • The West Wing
  • The Hour (British drama set at the BBC in the 1950s)
  • This Life (Late nineties British show - amazing)
  • Quantum Leap
  • Blackadder
  • Who's Line is it Anyway (The British version from the 90s)

    Your favorite foods/drinks

Oh easy, ice cream, mango eaten whilst naked and in the shower, and Mum's roast lamb, which is just awesome. Living in Melbourne, and being at the Victoria Markets yesterday, I bought the best loaf of sourdough fruit bread. Oh my goodness, it's ambrosial. 

    Your favorite kitchen appliance

What a strange question. But currently, that's my sandwich press, bought at K-Mart for $19. It's wonderful. And used a lot. Love my kettle too, very needed for making a cup of tea. 

    Your favorite animal

My cat, Lucifer. But I also like elephants and seals and horses and you name it, I just love animals in general. Rarely do I meet an animalI don't like. 

    Your favorite scents

  • Dogs' paws first thing in the morning
  • Freshly baked bread and biscuits (cookies)
  • Mum's roast lamb
  • Roses
  • The Soap Guy's soap.

    Your favorite things you do in your free time

  • Read
  • Watch movies / telly
  • Exercise
  • Swim
  • Catch up with friends
  • Cook
  • Eat

    Your pet peeves

  • Rude people
  • Right wing nut jobs
  • People who force their religion on you
  • Waking up to find there is no milk in the fridge. 

    Things you collect

  • Books
  • Little elephants
  • Friends
  • Experiences

    Things you like to swap

I  love swapping stories. I do that all the time. 

    Places you've been

I've been to so many places - over most of the East Coast of Australia, throught South East Asia and done quite a bit of Europe. I've also been to New York, Philadelphia, Boston and Los Angeles - I'd like to see more of the States one day. 

    Places you'd like to visit

Again, this list is far too long, made to feel longer by COVID. But here are my top ten places I'd like to visit because I've never been there. 

  • The North of Spain
  • Japan
  • Siem Reap and Angkor Wat, Cambodia
  • The Bungle Bungles
  • Uluru and Kata Djuta (formerly known as Ayres Rock and The Olgas)
  • Batumi in Georgia
  • Wales - all over Wales - it looks amazing
  • The Whitsunday Islands
  • The South of France
  • Prague
  • Canada
  • Seattle, San Francisco and New Orleans

    classes you liked in school

I liked most of my high school classes, but I loved English, French, Drama, and strangely, Chemistry.

    crafts you would like to learn

I already knit, sew and crochet, but I'd love to be able to play the piano, and part of me would love to give ceramics a try. That looks so creative. 


Big, black, friendly alsation, Vic Markets (and Kitt)

Today's Song: 


3 comments:

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

Hugh Laurie is a very funny and talented man as well as a good actor.

I loved Unreliable Memoirs by Clive James - made me laugh.

I also like Harry Potter - which has earned me a lot of stick (as certain people still think they are badly written books for kids).

V for Vendetta is a great film.

I also like a lot of the TV programmes you've listed.

There are loads of right wing nutters about - and I laughed at Katie Hopkins (an odious troll) being turfed out of Australia. She needs to go and shack up with Donald Trump instead of coming back to the UK. She recently stood at a rally in London and said COVID is a hoax - she is a truly mad, odious rattlesnake of a person.

Sorry for the min rant - got carried away as soon as that woman's name popped into my head.

;o)

Cheers

PM

Bev Sykes said...

Oh so glad to see someone else likes "Whose Line is it Anyway?" I used to watch it regularlhy, now I'm not sure where it is on, but occasionally stumble across it. My favorite segments were the musical ones.

Lori said...

I think you and I have more in common than just music. I also love The Rolling Stones, Talking Heads and B-52's. We could definitely listen to music together. Tin Roof...Rusted!
I just read Jane Eyre for the first time at the beginning of the summer...crazy I know, but I loved it. Then I watched a few versions of the movie.
I love the show House...OMG that man is hilarious. Loved your answers! Have a nice week.

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/