Friday, July 23, 2021

The Language of the WOFTAM

Snap Lockdown: Day 8

Mood: Middling


My team at work is known as Team Reprobate. Because we are just that. 

Ratbags. 

My team lead has had a lot to do with the Army over the years. 

We talk in army acronyms. 

Time isn't done like civilians. So our weekly team drinks are held not at 4 pm, but Sixteen Hundred hours. 

Things are done so that they're ship shape and Bristol fashion. 

And we talk in acronyms. 

So there are the SNAFUs (Situation normal, all F*cked up). 

Of course there are clusterf*cks and sh*tshows. They are interchangeable. 

And we have the regulation WOFTAMs.

WOFTAM? Waste of F*cking Time and Money. 

This is the name of a meeting that really could either be an email, or performed in half the time. 

Case in point - the weekly team meeting. Complete WOFTAM. 

(Okay, some stuff gets communicated in this meeting, but it could be covered in half an hour)

As there is normally nothing to read in the meeting, and all we do is talk, I have a tendency to go for a walk during this one hour talk fest. You can't get any real work done during the team meeting, so I grab the phone and go for a sanctioned one hour walk. Headphones in, camera set out facing the street , I then head for the river, give my updates, pitch in when I have to and grab a coffee on the way home. The camera goes stays on, showing my team the walk, the dogs I'm meeting along the way, the wind in my hair, limbs moving, I make some time for me in the middle of this talkfest. 

This is my very small act of defiance. I could be sitting at my desk twiddling my thumbs, or I could get some walking in  - so I go walking. And my response if anybody complains about me walking. 

DILLIGAF. 

(Do I look like I give a f#$%)

Today's Song:



No comments: