Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Those movies nobody knows but I love

 I don't feel like writing. 

I'm going back to the office tomorrow and I just want an early night after an early morning. 

So here are some movies that nobody has ever heard of which I think are just wonderful. 

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

It was one of the movies that brought Robert Downey Junior back. It also has a fantastic character played by Val Kilmer - one Gay Perry. It's funny. It's fast and it's just good. 





Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day

My Frances McDormand love affair was solidified here. Cracking cast, lovely period piece. But with Frances McDormand and Amy Adams, how can you go wrong? Thankfully, Channel Nine plays it fairly regularly as a lunchtime movie. 


Logan Lucky

A Steven Soderbergh sleeper. A caper film. Great cast. Lovely heart. Tis awesome. 


Their Finest

An English film about the propoganda department in London in WWII. Gemma Arterton is a woman press ganged into helping the Department of Information. This one's a keeper. 




Best in Show

From the people who brought us Spinal Tap - Best in Show is a mocumentary about Dog Shows. It's hilarious. And with Catherine O'Hara and Eugene Levy and the cast of Spinal Tap, what more could you want. 

 

Truly Madly Deeply

I think my love affair with Alan Rickman started here. Anthony Minghella directed it. It's a lovely take on a ghost story. It also shows how I remember London. 



Peter's Friends

Another English film with the brat pack of English Actors in the nineties who are all doing very fabulously now thank you very much. One of the biggest compliments I've ever received was when a friend said I was just like Maggie. Love Emma Thompson. 


In the Bleak Midwinter

Another Kenneth Branagh Film. In black and white. About a troupe of players producing Hamlet over Christmas in an old Church. It's just awesome. 






The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013)

This one gets me into trouble. The original movie, starring Danny Kaye, came out in 1939. I like the Ben Stiller version that came out about ten years ago. It's about getting out of your comfort zone. The cast is great. It just speaks to me. 





Today's song:





No comments: