Saturday, August 22, 2020

Kill Your Darlings

Level Four Lockdown: Day Twenty-One
Curfew. 8 p.m.
Mood: Level. Good because there is a party tonight and there are new

There are good things and bad things in my life at the moment.

The good things are enjoyable. The bad things are surmountable and will pass fairly quickly all going well.

Starting with the not so good things - or thing more to the point, the thing which is irking me - my shower base is leaking. It's leaking into my downstairs neighbours bathroom.  The plumber was here at 8 am. It appears this needs to be rectified before I get to use my shower again.A complete new base and waterproofing needs to sorted. Great. In the middle of a pandemic. On the good side of things, I can use the basin, the trough and the washing machine. Also, this is essential work, so it can be done. Also, I get on well with Molly and Skeet downstairs, so I'll be borrowing their bathroom for a shower until this gets fixed. But it is a pain in the bum. I'm just thankful I've got a good relationship with the neighbours. As somebody who normally showers twice a day, I'm in for a few hard days.

The other small bad thing is they're digging up Victoria Street at the moment - there is a 24/7 dub base noise coming from the roadworks. I'm a couple of hundred metres away from the works, but it's driving me troppo.

On the good side of things, school today went well. The class liked the exerpts I provided. I wasn't happy as I gave over two chapter beginnings rather than one complete chapter. But it went down well. I need to kill some of my darlings - tightend a lot of it up. There's a scene at a support group and one that involves an uber ride. I've got the starts done - just need to find out where they are going. I've always avoided doing the editing work I need to do here - it feels like murder - but the guys in the class are being lovely about all of this, giving suggestions, hints and pointing out failings.

This writing gig is not for the faint-hearted. It's hard. But fun.

Other good things:

  • I've just made some white chocolate, pistachio and cranberry bark
  • There's an online Dev session tomorrow afternon - I might get one of these scenes sorted then
  • Pump class, also in the lounge room, was great.
  • An online birthday party with my friends playing Cards Against Humanity should be fun. 
  • The cat is keeping me company- also a good thing.
Right, I must go and make myself look presentable for the zoom camera. I hope this all goes off tonight. 


Today's Song:


No comments: