Thursday, August 6, 2020

Self-Isolation

Level Four Lockdown: Day 4
Self-Isolation: Day One
Curfew. 8 p.m.
Mood: Slightly resentful otherwise level

Well, that's me for a few days. Locked in with the cat while I await my COVID-19 test results.

All for the snuffles, a slight cough and a lingering headache. Nothing dramatic, but enough to send me down to the local COVID testing centre to get a test. It's a community service. If I had these symptoms outside the pandemic I'd probably be in work - or may be working from home. I'm working from home so there's no change for me anyway.

It was all over in half an hour. This was with the drive there and back to the Collingwood testing centre. I wasn't going to risk going to St Vinnies. Luckily there was no queue. Walk in. Hand sanitiser station. First round of questions. Woman at a computer took my details. Went and saw the nurse. Over in five minutes. Left with most of my dignity intact.

But as my colleague said when I got home from the test, I've been nose-fucked. And been on the giving end of some deep throat. The test is over in seconds. It sends your gag reflex into freefall. The stick up the nose was fine. I remember having a similar test fifteen years ago for whooping cough. I remember the doctor stuck the stick up my nose so far I thought he was trying to pick my brains out. This was not as bad as that - and over in seconds. The nurse was quite gentle, though she gave my gag reflex a right going over.

I should have the results in the next couple of days.

Joy.

Thankfully I did a big shop a few days ago and have plenty of food in the fridge. I also have a lot of writing to produce over the next few days. And anyway, we're only allowed out for an hour a day. I had my hour this morning, before going for the test, having to let a tradie in to the Masonic Temple. On the way home I also popped in at the supermarket, the butcher and the deli. I also saw my barista and got a coffee.

Well, there will be none of that for a few days. Not until the test comes back negative.

So my lockdown in complete. Just for the next few days.

Oh well.

Could be far worse. Best to know before getting on with life. It's just a community service, a few days of disruption.

I'm more resentful of having to let the tradie in this morning. I think a nice walk would have set this isolation off nicely.


Today's song:




No comments: