Saturday, August 15, 2020

The Community

Level Four Lockdown: Day Fourteen
Curfew. 8 p.m.
Mood: Okay - I'm a bit pissed off with myself for not getting more writing done.


Making the most out of my walk to get coffee this morning was easy. It's the one time I get a sense of community in these strange times.

The days was nice, not to cold, not too windy. I walked down to the local shopping centre, mask in place, active wear on, sunclasses strategically placed over my mask to stop them fogging up.

There's a few tricks I've learned with the mask. The first is use a listerine strip before masking up - you don't have to smell your own breath then. And placing a drop of essential oil  on the inside of your mask makes it smell a lot nicer. I have a great blend called Focus -  basil, rosemary, peppermint, frankinsense, lemon and bergamot) - great for waking you up.

I ran into Yanni from the gym. We do this often - he likes to get out of his flat. I've not seem him wear proper footwear since lockdown started, forever sporting thongs on his feet. He says he's not coping that well, lots going on and no gym to take the pain away. I get what he's saying.

I walk past my coffee place, saying hello to Kush and Issy, saying I'll be back soon. They greet me by name.

A quick run around the supermarket to get a couple of necessary things. I was in and out in ten minutes.

Then to Baker's Delight. As I had a zoom coffee booked in half an hour, I wanted to grab something that looked like breakfast. I have a thing with Esperanza, the woman who works there. We smile at each other. I place my order for a custard and almond bun - which she knows by heart. (yeah, decadent, but it's the weekend). Esperanza says she'll find me a good one. Being away from the Adelaide bakery culture, it's any port in a storm - and these buns are pretty good (But it's an Adelaide bee sting, or a Boston Bun, or pretty much any other delight you get from a South Australian bakery). Esperanza did good.

Then back to the coffee place. I smile at Kush, he knows my order. There was a freebie on my coffee card. Bonus. It's been five months now - all the staff there know me and my order. I quite like this.

While the coffee is being made (A large almond decaf latte) I popped in at the butcher. These guys have great meat. Procured some chicken mince so I can make Chicken Chilli Con Carne tomorrow night.

Once the coffee was collected, I had a quick chat to the guys in Specsavers. I've known them for years and a friendly face is always good to see.

And after a quick peer into the closed bookshop, I took my coffee and groceries and walked home. It struck me as I made my way back in the sunshine that I'm really lucky to have the community around me while we're all locked down.

It makes things a bit easier.

Today's song:


No comments: