Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Too Many Rabbit Holes

Level Four Lockdown: Day Twenty-Four
Curfew. 8 p.m.
Mood: Level. Flummoxed

We talked about research in class tonight. And now I'm flummoxed, more because I've suddenly sent myself down a number of rabbit holes which I feel like I'll never come out of.

Research is vital for any writer. And if you're a writer of any standing, it's your research that sets you apart. It needs to be correct. It needs to be current. And it needs to be true, on many levels. We used, as an example tonight, the disappearance of Azaria Chamberlain - which occured 40 years ago, almost to the day. It was amazing what we collectively came up with  in ten minutes. Different sides to the story. Different aspects of life in Australia in 1980. How people were horrified that Azaria was once dressed in a black dress at six weeks old. How and why Michael Chamberlain had a small coffin in his possession. How the aboriginal trackers were not listened to in the original case. (It helps that our teacher was a reporter at The Australian during the original case - who also gave us some insights).

So I'm not pondering the research I need to to for my novel.

I know how much research I did for some of the stories I've had published over the last few years. Because I've been writing historical fiction, it's a balance between putting in what you need for the story balanced with all the wonderful knick-knacks and snippets you find out aloing the way.

Well, tonight, I found out about something that I need to explore - End of Life doulas. Writing a novel about death, I'm trying to get a lot of different perspectives - and tonight, somebody mentioned End-of-Life Doulas - and my novel just went down another rabbit hole. Do I get my character a doula? Should I approach a doula and interview her. What do I ask the end-of-life doula if I do summon the courage to make contact?

It's just another rabbit hole to fall down. Just what I need.

And I need to get writing. We have six weeks until our anothology piece is due.



Today's song


No comments: