Sunday, December 6, 2020

Best things to talk about

I'm rather liking that Bev at Sunday Stealing is posting the weekly Sunday questions early. It means I can get these done late on Saturday night and then have Sunday free to write. 

Tomorrow is a big day - it's the first day we're back for Pump class on Sunday since February - Jay and I are a bit excited about being back on a Sunday morning at 9.15 with Jessie-Fern out the front. Even better, the class is limited to 20 people in the room - COVID restrictions - so it won't be too crowded. My gym clothes are set out ready and my gym bag is packed. So exciting.

Anyway, here goes this week's questions.

1. What is the craziest, most outrageous thing you want to achieve?

I know this sounds twee, but I'd love to be a best selling novelist. But if that doesn't happen, I'd still love to compete in a marathon and travel to every country in Europe over a year. Big dreams. 

2. Have your parents influenced what goals you have?

No, not at all. I have no idea what my parents' goals would have been for me. I know my Mum doesn't have much of a clue about my life. It's okay, it's just the way it is. 

3. What is a fashion trend you’re glad went away.

Anything flourescent. That was awful. I also stopped wearing high heels ten years ago. They're stupid. Comfort comes first at all times. Besides, when I walk in thin heels, I look like a bad drag queen. 

4. What word or saying from the past do you think should come back?

Here are a few: 

Snollyguster:  A person, especially a politician, who is guided by personal advantage rather than by consistent, respectable principles. (most of our current Federal Cabinet are snollygusters).

Pluviophile : A person who takes great joy and comfort in rainy days.

Cockwomble: A person, usually male, prone to making outrageously stupid statements and/or inappropriate behavior while generally having a very high opinion of his own wisdom and importance. (Again, think the Australian Federal front bench).

I have lots of these. 

5. What do you bring with you everywhere you go?

My sense of humour. 

6. Is there such a thing as a soul?

Yes. Very much so. 

7. Is there life after death?

Also, yes, but I'm more a reincarnation sort, no so much a heaven and hell believer. It might happen, it might not happen, you might end up as a cockroach. Who knows, but I do believe there is more out there. 

8. Do you think there will ever be a third world war?

Unfortunately, I think there might be, but I don't think it will be like anything like the last two. You could say we are waging World War Three with the Newcorpse media at the moment. Just saying...

9. What smell brings back great memories?

Fresh mint always takes me back to being a child when I had to go down to the swamp to pick it and bring it back to make mint sauce to go with the roast lamb (half a cup of mint leaves, half a cup of boiling water, half a cup of white vinegar and two teaspoons of sugar - wasy). But I have mint growing in the garden near my carpark. It always reminds me of this. I love roast lamb too. 

10. How would you like to be remembered?

Just as being kind and funny. If I can do that, then all is well. Kind and funny are good. 

11. What kind of music are you into?

Everything - but I'm a bit of a rock rock and alternative rock listener - throw in some swing, jazz, zydeco, blues and classical and you have my taste in music. It's easier to ask what music I'm not into - that would be Country, Country and Western and Death Metal. I'll listen to most things. 

12. What is the biggest surprise of your life?

At 52, I'm finally the parent to a cat. Never thought that would happen. He's wonderful. 

13. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Ice cream. I'd end up sick and fat, but this would be like perfect. Don't tell anybody, but I could live on baked beans on toast too. I find that a very comforting meal, normally saved for when I can't be bothered. Cafe Delish's French Toast, and the Vinh Ky's Dry Crispy Beef with Chilli sauce are also up there as things to be eaten regularly. 

14. Where is the most awe inspiring place you have been?

Varanasi, India. It's a gobsmacking place to visit. Very in your face. Stoked full of every last piece of humanity in all its forms. Confronting, humbling, crazy. I'd go back just to sit by the Ganges again. 

Other places which come to mind:

  • Doi Suthep Temple, Chiang Mai, Thailand
  • The Isle of Skye, Scotland
  • Silver Sands Beach, South Australia
  • Toledo, Spain
  • Milford Sound, New Zealand
  • Hong Kong
  • Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
I've so grateful I have travelled. 

15. Describe your life in six words.

  1. Quiet
  2. Contemplative
  3. Funny
  4. Kind
  5. Driven
  6. Creative

Today's Song:





7 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

who knew I was a Pluviophile.

I love lamb too...my favorite meat, Sadly, others in the house don't like it, so I rarely get it.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

I have used "cockwomble" but it does have a more descriptive meaning too (which I won't go into).

I've been to Chiang Mai - but not sure about the temple you mentioned. I love Hong Kong too, and bizarrely I gave never been to Skye - that will have to change.

I like the song for today too.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Lori said...

I would like to be remembered as a kind person also. Loved your answers! Have a nice day!

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

Kwizgiver said...

I hope your Pump class is fun!

CountryDew said...

Envious that you're going out to do things! I have used cockwomble myself to describe the current occupant of the White House.

Me, Myself, and I said...

I've got to try that mint sauce...

Ordinarily Just Me said...

What wonderful words!-and the places you have been. I would love to visit India and Scotland. It will happen someday...