Monday, December 28, 2020

Notes from the Road

Finally, I'm home - I got in about fifteen minutes ago. I would have been here about three hours ago, but a stop at my cousins in Ballan to drop off some fru-chocs and a stop in at Blarney and Barney's for a bite to eat and a beer and now I'm home. When I do this at the end of next month, I won't be able to do this as I'll have the cat in the car. 

Now I'm home, the place feels incredibly empty. Mum said the cat had a quiet day. I'll take this as code for hasn't been out from behind the computer. He yowled when I left Myponga this morning. I felt like yowling myself, so bad the Mummy-guilt. But he is in good hands. And he hopped on the bed with my parents last night and he was settling well - so I'm not worried - I just miss him. He'll chill. 

Besides, I'm getting some feline wards on Wednesday for a week - won't that be fun.

Anyway, here are some notes from today's trip back from Adelaide. 

Departed 8.30 am ACDST (9 am AEDST)

The drive through the Adelaide Hills was as wonderful as it will always be. Made good time. 

Stopped at the OTR services the other side of Tailem Bend at 10.15 am ACDST. 

These are great services although they have no decaf coffee. There are only two ladies toilets - which really, being new services, is a bit of a travesty. On the good side of things, both the OTR and the BP services on the way the Adelaide are serviced by the local bakery. Their sprinkly donuts are PHENOMENAL. They put Krispy Kremes to shame. Had a break with a weak almond latte, breaking 2.5 years of no full strength coffee. On the road again after 20 minutes. 

Have decided to stop at the Coonalpyn silo art on the way over at the end of January. They're pretty cool. The traffic was too heavy to stop today. 


Image courtesty of https://i.ytimg.com/vi/PeTXhLzTryc/maxresdefault.jpg

Next stop was at Bordertown OTR at 12.00 ACDST (12.30 AEDST). Had to queue for the loo for 20 minutes - 2 unisex toilets for far too many travellers. Checked in with the SA COVID QR checks - far too many people around. Left in disgust, not willing to queue for another 20 minutes to get a drink, such were the queues. The toilet situation was ridiculous. 

Wish I'd worn my mask. 

Got breatholised just out of Borderdown. Young, friendly cops. No border checks, just a breath test. We talked cats while they fired up the machine. In and out in three minutes. As expected, blew 0.00 despite having a month's worth of alcohol (for me) over the last week. My stepdad thinks I'm a lightweight. I am a lightweight - who cherishes my hard won mental and physical health. 

On the trip over in January I might stop at the Kaniva art silo.


Image courtesy of https://d3pbdxdl8c65wb.cloudfront.net/cloudinary/2020/Oct/27/3eb4bM15FKCcu5JpZksi.jpg

Called Jonella and Blarney between Kaniva and Horsham. Thank goodness for bluetooth handsfree connections. 

Finished listening to Lincoln in the Bardo. Excellent  audiobook (I've read it before and want to read it again - but this was great)

Started listening to Girl, Woman, Other by Bernadine Evaristo - now ensconsed in a feminist novel about all sorts of things. The writing is amazing. Spent a lot of time scoffing at things said - kept me awake. 

Stopped at Horsham around 3.30pm AEDST for a bite to eat and to refuel. Once again, not enamoured with the toilets (saying that, I had lunch at McDonalds and their loos are at least reasonably clean). 

Next stop was at Ballan at around 6.30 pm AEDST (6.00 pm ACDST). Dropped of a lot of fru-chocs with my cousin. Stopped in for a cup of tea, caught up with his wife and kids, have made a promise to go see my cousin (his mother) in Hobart and was on on road in an hour. 

Traffic was steady. Good driving conditions. 

8.30 pm AEDST (8 pm ACDST)  dropped by Blarney and Barney's, who fed me some of yesterday's leftover barbeque, gave me a beer and I watched a bit of the big bash cricket for a bit. 

Left an hour later.  Arrived home half an hour after that.

And that is Christmas over and done with for another year. 

Tomorrow the painting begins. 

And I miss the cat. 


Today's Song:



No comments: