Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Goodbye CDs.

 Still a bit knackered from yesterday's drive so nowhere near enough has been done. Some things have finally happened. The car is now unpacked, everything's put away. Thanks to Mum, most of my clothes have come back clean (Mum does a load of washing most days, so it's no biggie throwing an item or two in)

The worst thing about going through the spare room is looking at all the crap I haven't touched in years. In particular, there is a couple of hundred CDs I've had for 20-30 years which I'm at a bit of a loss at to what to do with these. Most of me knows that they should be turfed - at best, take them along to the Camberwell Market in a few weeks time and see if I can move them on. 



But looking at them, I'm getting all nostagic. These CDs are my history. There's everything from Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel, to Nerinah Palot, to some really dodgy grunge stuff. There's the old Stones stuff, The Stone Roses, The Red Hot Chilli Peppers. There are heaps of compilation albums from the 80s and nineties. Many, many albums I don't think I've played in over 25 years.

And still I'm feeling bad about packing them up. 

To make them impossible to keep, the two CD trees are going to put on the nature strip in the next day or so.

I'm just feeling a bit funny about this. It feels like I'm getting rid of the soundtrack of my life. 

But the flat needs painting and I have to make some room for myself. Needs to be done.

Still, it feels strange and rather sad.

And don't talk to be about shedding books. That's worse. 

(p.s. anybody wanting some CD, and wanting a list of what is going, message me - I love it when things go to a good home)


Today's Song: 



2 comments:

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

I would keep your CDs if I were in your position. I still buy them simply because they become mine. I don't rent songs from a streaming service and they represent chapters in my history, like a time machine to events in my life.

Mrs PM has finally given up trying to persuade me to part with them and I have a cupboard with them all upstairs.

I consider them to be part of me.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Pandora Behr said...

I think that rather than throw them all out, I will have a solid cull - there are some that just need to be kept, others can go. It's still hard, as it feels like I'm cutting off my right arm.