Sunday, December 20, 2020

For Those Who Celebrate Christmas Part 1:

 Ah, here we go, another set of questions which I will find some difficulty in answering because 1) I am in Australia and it is Summer so Christmas in Australia doesn't make sense to those in cold climates and 2) As I'm not a Christian, it feels a bit hypocritical to celebrate the birth of venerated man who died 2000 years ago. 

Regardless, I take a line of least resistance when it comes to Christmas, participating enough so I don't piss people off, but I don't get too invested in it. Then I go have fun with my Jewish, Hindu, Muslim and athiest friends. 

Anyway, here we go. Questions, as always, have been supplied by Bev at Sunday Stealing

What’s your favorite thing about the holidays?

Time off work if I'm really honest. And the fact I can normally get some prawns for dinner. 

Do you send out Christmas cards and if so how many do you send?

I don't send Christmas cards and I normally feel awful when I receive them as I don't send them back. 

Be honest: holiday newsletters. Love ‘em or hate ‘em?

Depends on who sends them. They're okay for other people. When I lived in England I would send them, but that was 25 years ago. 

Be honest: photo cards. Love ‘em or hate ‘em?

Oh photo cards are an American thing. We don't really have them here unless you're a politician or really churchy. Here is our Prime Minister's one. He's really churchy. Say no more... I feel sorry for his kids. They get wheeled out for photo opportunities. 


How soon do you start shopping?

About two weeks before the day. I've got most of my Christmas shopping done now. 

Real or fake tree?

I have a gin bottle stuffed with Christmas lights. Does that count? I've never put up a tree. Besides now, the cat would eat it. 

When do you put up your tree?

See above. 

When do you take down your tree?

See above. Though the gin bottle stuffed with Christmas lights has sat next to the telly for a year now, so I've never taken it down. 

Describe your typical tree (size, decorations, type)

A gin bottle filled with Christmas lights. 

What do you top your tree with?

Nothing, if I put the lid on, I can't light the lights. 

Do you put Christmas lights outside your house?

No. That is something other people do. Besides, I'm on the second floor. 

Is there a wreath hanging on your door?

No. I'll leave that to my downstairs neighbours. One has a great big stocking on her door, the other one has a minimalist wreath that sort of looks like a crown of thorns. It's very tasteful. 

Do you hang up stockings?

No. 

Your favorite Christmas Movie(s)

Die Hard. But if you want a more traditional Christmas movie, I love Love, Actually and have a soft spot for It's a Wonderful Life. I also really enjoyed Happiest Season recently. Just because I'm not a Christmas fan doesn't mean I don't like Christmas movies.

Oh, and In the Bleak Midwinter is the best. Mixes Hamlet with Christmas, what more could you want?

Be honest: A Christmas movie you hate

I'm not a fan of Home Alone. 

Favorite Christmas Song(s)

The Fairytale of New York

If you want an Aussie one, Rolf Harris's version of Six White Boomers is pretty good too, even if Rolf Harris is out of favour.

If you want a more traditional one, then it is The Carol of the Bells. As seen on The West Wing

Be honest: If I hear this/these Christmas songs again I will throw up

Oh that I Wish it would be Christmas - hate it. It was all over the shop when I lived in England. 

Give or Receive?

I do love to give - though it is nice to receive too. 

Eggnog or Mulled Cider?

Now these are American things. I do love a good egg nog and mulled wine/ gleuvein/ spiced warm wine, but as it is high summer when it's Christmas, I'll settle for a gin and tonic. 

Ham or Turkey?

PRAWNS! PRAWNS and LOBSTER! PRAWNS and LOBSTER and OYSTERS!! 

My family tends to do a cold Christmas lunch with seafood and salad. When in Melbourne, my job is to glaze Blarney's ham - and she always gets a good ham and I am very adept at glazing it, though it is something my family never did - we'd have leg ham, cold of course, but we'd never do a glaze. 

Today's song: 







9 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

Loved your song links, especially Six White Boomers

Susan said...

Interesting to learn about how you spend your holiday. I am in So California and we will be in the 80's a few days before Christmas. Merry Christmas!

Ordinarily Just Me said...

I love the idea of a wine bottle tree. I may need to try it next year!
Happy Holidays!
OJM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

Yes - the cats eat my tree. Last night they nearly knocked the bloody thing over.

EUUURRGGHHHH! Oysters - I had one once - never ever ever EVER again.

Have a great Xmas

:o)

Cheers

PM

LA Paylor said...

I LOVE your answers!!! How fun and I wish I could pull up a chair at your Christmas prawn fest, celebrate with white kangaroos. Love, LeeAnna

CountryDew said...

A Gin bottle tree. Makes me want to go empty my half-full bottle of gin and see what I can do with it.

zippiknits...sometimes said...

This is a lovely read! I guess you like Prawns. They are so good! It's always so good to read here, and get your views on things, and this was absolutely no exception!

Happy Christmas! See you in a few weeks.

Me, Myself, and I said...

Ok, the gin bottle tree is absolutely the coolest! Prawns and lobsters and oysters oh my--reminds me of my childhood. I grew up on the gulf coast of Mississippi, so very warm winters and lots of great seafood. Have a happy Christmas!

2 gators said...

very cool idea on the Gin bottle ;) love Prawns and Lobster. Hope you have a Merry Christmas