Monday, July 6, 2020

Attica at Home

As we're on the verge of going back into lockdown, and possibly a harsher lockdown than before, so celebrating our freedoms seemed to be a good thing to do this weekend.

I've always wanted to go to Attica. As a foodie, I love trying new things, tasting new things and just experiencing lovely food.

Attica has been on my list of places to go for years. It's often on the top restaurants of the world lists. It's got a reputation for being really out there in it's dish design, cooking ways and environmental ethos. Many of the herbs and vegetables are grown in the garden in the back of the restaurant. I know they have their own beehives. Everything is exquisite, right down to the service. I hope the dining room opens soon.

Anyway, the other week Jonella asked if I wanted to do the next best thing available at the moment - Attica at Home.

Attica is doing takeaway.  And it's reasonably priced.

Okay, you can do a full degustation for $380. We didn't. I collected our takeaway at 6.45 pm on Saturday night. We'd chosen the Attica Classics menu - $95 for two people along with the Sticky Pineapple  Pudding. Between the four of us, it came to $55 a head. For what we were expecting it seemed reasonable. It was more than reasonable. It was exquisite.

I also grabbed a spare bottle of Moet & Chandon champagne from the cupboard. I wanted to toast out my uncle, and really, a lovely meal needs to be accompanied by lovely champagne.

The three small dishes were perfect in every way.

The Simple Dish of Potato Cooked in the Earth it Was Grown was exceptional. A baked potato, baked in the ground, with roasted saltbush was the one of the best potatoes I've ever eaten. Light, fluffy, tasty. The meal got off to a good start.

The Dish That Saved Attica aka Spice Crusted Lamb Shoulder was divine. It was sort of like a lamb croquette, but better. Served with greens, a jus and a puree it stood the 30 minute drive from Ripponlea to Mordialloc. Gently warmed in the oven on arrival it was just divine. Thom, Jonella's partner did a great job of plating.

Then for me, the dish of the night, the Flight of the Bees trifle. Served in the contain it came in from the restaurant, this was 1000 times better than any trifle your nana makes at Christmas. I've never been a fan of the stuff, but I would eat this daily if I could. The honey tainted custard had just enough tang, without being overly sweet. The cake, the delicately flavoured jelly, the raspberries were all perfect. Every pot was scraped clean.

And then, just for good measure, we were served up the sticky pineapple pudding, served with butterscotch sauce and cream. See the video. It was as good as it looked. Light, inventive, sticky and joyfous. Just what we were expecting.

And although $55 seems a bit steep for takeaway, the stellar meal and the great company made for a wonderful night.

Will I do this again? Absolutely.

I just need to find something to celebrate. I hope this will happen soon.

Find in the instalink some photos of the food. Have a flick through. Thom did a good job as our waiter.





Today's song:


No comments: