Saturday, July 18, 2020

Meet the Dougies

Tomorrow's special thing, after the writing and the exercising and avoid people is a little course I happened upon on the interwebs.

It's an online course, two hours of my life on a Sunday afternoon for the princely sum of $30. I was hoping to do the day course a while ago, a six hour day course for few more dollars. Unfortunately I never got to do this. Other things, Faber and time constraints, then COVID-19 came. So I'm happy to be doing this. Other than the stay at home order scuppering any normality, this should be a good afternoon's learning and entertainment.

It's a two hour session on Comedy Writing with Tim Ferguson.

Who's Tim Ferguson?

Well, he's one of the Doug Anthony All Stars.

There were three of them. Paul McDermott is still trawling around the small screens on a game show. Richard Fidler, the fellow the guitar, now writes books.

Tim is the tall one.Okay, he's not so tall now as MS has confined him to a wheelchair, but every other synapse is firing. He's an inspirational bloke.


But for me, writing comedy is hard. I have no idea how to be funny. I have no idea how to write funny. It's about time I learned a few tricks and tips for writing comedy.

For $30, it's a steal. Yes, it's another few hour in front of the computer,.but it's out there.

You have to keep learning.

I'm just a bit excited to meet a bit of a legen The Dougies were about when I was in my late teens and early 20s. They were on the iconic "Big Gig", a comedy show that used to be on the ABC - back when it was funded properly and they weren't battling as many wowsers. This is the show that brought us Pate Biscuit, Candida and the marvellous Jean Kitson.

I also met the Dougies when I ushered at the Adelaide Fringe Festival one year. It was awesome. They were awesome.

I'm feeling a bit nostalgic.

I'll let you know how it goes.

You never know, I might learn how to be funny - but then again...


Today's song:


No comments: