Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Back to school

I went back to school tonight. I'm tying hard to not feel like a failure.

I'm not a failure - I'm just berating myself for not doing more over the break. But with the general COVID-19 malaise, a death in the family and the need for rest, well what was I expecting of myself

The cat behaved himself during school - which was held over zoom - and it will be for the time to come. I'm glad the cat behaved, taking himself off to bed. He's been a right pain today - demanding I play with him at regular intervals. I'm glad he took himself off to bed, snuggling under the blanket, as he does most nights. During the day he normally naps during the morning and afternoons - but not today. It seems I've created a rod for my own back with the laser pointer. He loves it. Demands I play with him.

But back to school.

It was lovely to be back. It was great to meet our new tutor, Kris Olsson should be great. She comes highly recommended. We met her tonight, along with a new class mate.

We're all gunning to get back to it. I'm gunning to get back into it.

Then again, I have my first consult, with Kris, next week - and I have to give over 2000 words by Saturday night. ARGH.

The writing exercise tonight was great. Write some dialogue. Write some description of what you see out your window. Combine the two. It's interesting what comes out of it. Especially when you look out my window and see cranes, the fish factory and wheelie bins. Sometimes there is a whiff of night blooming jasmine. It's a bit strange when it;s juxtaposed with a conversation about killing yourself (morbid and triggering as it is, but the effect was really cool)

It's interesting, last night there is a full moon in Cancer. It's a good time to set intentions  that help you see beyond 2020.

Well I'm setting the intention to finish the first draft of this novel by Christmas.

And something from tonight. One of my classmates has encouraged me to apply for a Varuna fellowship. Varuna, is a writer's retreat in the Blue Mountains. It's been a long held dream of mine go there. Many, many Australian writers make their way through Varuna.

Is it a pipe dream. Absolutely. But you don't know until you apply. And applications will be taken until next Wednesday. Oh I love a deadline.

Oh, and we've been told that to get our work into the Faber Anthology - one of the perks of this course, we need a headshot.

I'm not thinking about that.

Anyway, that's what happened tonight at school.

I'm knackered. Time to annoy the cat by going to bed.



Today's song:


No comments: