Sunday, July 12, 2020

Movie Challenge Meme

Lockdown: Day 4

I was really pleased to see that we had a movie challenge meme today It's making me remember how much I love film, especially as we are now back in lockdown for six weeks. We can go out for shopping for essentials, care giving/medical appointments, exercise and going to work or school if you can't do that from home. This only applies to the five million people in the Melbourne area. The rest of the state and the country are getting back to normal. It's bearable, but a bit depressing.

But enough of that. Back onto movies. Questions, as always, were supplied by Bev at Sunday Stealing.

1. Last movie you watched

Ah, this was on the television the other day. Miss Pettigrew Lives for the Day. Brilliant ensemble cast, with Frances McDormand and Amy Adams steering the whole thing. It's awesome.


2. Last movie you watched in a theater.

I saw the Personal History of David Copperfield last weekend. Movie theatres are closed in Melbourne once again. The rest of the country can see films. I miss the cinema.



3. Film you’ve always wanted to watch, but haven’t:

There are a heap of films I've never seen but really should get around to. Included on this list are:

  • The Godfather (I, II and III)
  • The Deer Hunter
  • Apocalypse Now
  • Most of the Disney movies from the nineties (Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast being two of them)
  • A number of Tarantinos that are too violent to watch after dark.

There are more on this list, but this will do for the moment.

4. Favorite movie soundtrack

There are a few of them. but the soundtrack to Grosse Point Blank always comes up. Amazing eighties music. It's awesome.




5. Your favorite movie duo

I will give that to Thelma and Louise. Love that film.



6. Movie you like because of its story

I loved Booksmart. Nobody has seen it, but it just a wonderful film about female empowerment. It's also hilarious.



7. A film that disappointed you

Oh, there have been many disappointing films. Two that come to mind are Downsizing and Poms. Both were just meh. Unlike Cats. which was dire and should only be seen when stoned.



8. Favorite scene from a movie

Oh, that comes from Bull Durham. I love that film, but I love this scene more than anything.





9. Your guilty pleasure movie

I have a lot of guilty pleasure movies, Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, a whole heap of English films, and silly comedies. But if you want me to sit up and watch something silly, and enjoyable, then that would be The Blues Brothers or The Life of Brian. Both fabulous. Both hysterical. Love them both.



10. A movie you keep going back to

I happily watch The Princess Bride over and over again. It's one of my favourites. Always will be.



11. A quote your admire from your favorite movie.

"You is kind. You is smart. You is important."  It's from The Help. It touches me regularly.



12. A movie based on a true story

I love The Imitation Game - it's a film about Bletchley and how they cracked the Enigma machine. Again, an English film.



13. Your favorite actor/actress

Despite being in lust with Clive Owen for years, my favourite actor has to be Alan Rickman. It was the voice. He was a lot of things. He was incredible. And he was far more than Severus Snape.




14. A sequel you’re not a fan of

Grease II was very dire. All of the Twilight movies, bar the first one, were pretty terrible. Same goes with The Hunger Games. Mind you as with the books, The Hunger Games and Twilight got off to a great start then petered out.

15. A film you know by heart

The Princess Bride. My friend's kids thinks this is very funny.



16. Your favorite opening scene

I wouldn't say it's my favourite, but the opening minutes of Calvary are some of the most extraordinary minutes of cinema I've ever seen. The impact of this film lasted for weeks.


17. A film that was based on a book and was executed well

Atonement was particularly well done. Extraordinary movie. Extra ordinary book.


18. A comedy film

Another guilty pleasure of mine is The Wedding Singer. Perfect feel good film - and I don't like Adam Sandler that much, but The Wedding Singer is awesome.


19. TV series you’re binging on now

Currently binging on Parks and Recreation. It's fun and light and good for lockdown conditions.


20. A TV series you think is underrated

The BBC's The Hour. It was superlative television. It deserved at least one more season.


I liked these questions.

God I miss the movies.

Today's Song:




9 comments:

CountryDew said...

I don't watch a lot of movies or TV, so these questions are generally hard for me to answer. You reminded me of a few movies I'd forgotten I've seen.

Stacy said...

So many good movies here! Funny you mention The Deer Hunter as one of the movies you need to get around to seeing. It made a big impression on me when I saw it as a teenager and I usually watch it whenever it is on, though that is less and less often these days. I am from just outside of Pittsburgh and identify with the way of life depicted in the city. Anyway, was walking through Walmart the other day and there it was for $5 in the bargain DVD bin. Now I can watch it whenever I want.

The Gal Herself said...

Godfathers I and II are such terrific movies. Beautifully made, engrossing, and they say a lot capitalism. See them, see them, see them! (III is a curiosity. I'm not sorry I saw it, but I don't recommend it, except for Andy Garcia's overwhelming hotness.)

Glad to see Alan Rickman get a shout out. What a charismatic, versatile actor he was!

LA Paylor said...

yes to alan rickman... he stops me by his voice whenever I hear him. Gotta check out The hour and the movie about bletchley. Great list, reminded me of a lot. Wish they'd shut down our whole country right now

Bev Sykes said...

How could I have left out "Princess Bride." Loved that movie. I'll have to check out some of the movie I haven't heard from here.

songbird's crazy world said...

So many great films.

Cats ...I saw it on Broadway multiple times a pond could not bring myself to watch that abomination.

Me, Myself, and I said...

Rickman--what a loss. Great answers, really loved reading and watching.

Julie said...

Loved your answers. Alan Rickman was so good in everything he did. Such a sad loss to the entertainment world :(

I've never seen The Princess Bride. I should put it on my to watch list.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Ah, yes, Alan Rickman. The Husband likes to tease me by imitating Rickman's voice because I ooh when I see him in a movie. lol The Husband and I saw Booksmart, so that makes three who saw it. :-) I'm looking forward to seeing more of the actress's movies. I've seen Miss Pettigrew 3 times, and will probably see it again, if I come across it on TV. I love it when she and the sock designer meet. He fell for Miss Pettigrew instantly, so I think.