Friday, July 10, 2020

The Plague Diaries

Lockdown: Day Two

I've kept up this blogging every day for over six months now.

It's takes commitment and it takes a bit of stupidity to do this daily, and there are some days you just don't feel like writing.

And today is one of those days. I really don't feel like writing today.

It's taken me til ten o'clock to work out that I doin't want to write about:
  • How I want to sack Channel Nine (and most terrestrial telly with the exception of SBS and the ABC)
  • Chatting up the bloke at the bottle shop (had to be done) 
  • How I'm really loving my current book
  • The laser pointer I bought the cat (he loves it - it's fun)
But this blog is turning into a bit of a Plague Diary - okay I'm not Samuel Pepys or Albert Camus, but there is a need to document this time. Document the craziness, write down the bizarreness of this current life.

It's a time where the only news I really take in is the daily state of the union bulletin. I don't need the commentary, a lot of it makes me feel sick. The political point-scoring and fingerpointing is nauseating.

Like just get on with things. Politicians are not perfect. There will be a time for  the blame game, but for fuck's sake, get on with it. And any politician who whines (think Michael O'Brien, Victorian opposition leader - I wish he'd either pitch in and do something useful or shut the fuck up).

Regardless, Melbourne under lockdown is a strange place.

Strangers let you pat their dogs from a distance.

You have chats with randoms, at a distance.

The thought of having to work in the office fills you with dread (Looks like I'll have to do this in the week after next when they are turning the power off in the block for a few hours - I'm working on the logistics at the moment - and I'll do the required training before I go in - and I'll drive in.)

You get antsy when you see people holding hands or getting too close in public - this includes the Protective Service Offices who are at the local shopping centre.

And fresh air and sunshine are tonics worth more than anything.

I'm glad I can still walk, exercise and have limited contact with people, even if you can't touch them.

I'm looking forward to having my hair cut next weekend (still legal - masking up). It may be the only human contact I have for the next six weeks.

And it's that thought that makes all of this so deeply personal.

Thank God for the cat.

Today's Song:






1 comment:

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

We've heard about the new lockdown. Just as we are easing our way out of ours.

Hopefully it wont last too long.

:o)

Cheers

PM