Friday, October 23, 2020

Desert Island Discs

Level Four Lockdown: Day Eighty-Two (With a few restrictions lightened and lifted)

Mood:  Flat


It's a public holiday - and a pointless one at that. It's humid, but thankfully not hot. I'm working on a couple of CVs - not what I really want to be doing, but I need a day or so away from the novel.

And I don't have much to write about, unless you count the cat bashing up his stuffed Nemo. He appears to like bashing up Nemo. 

Anyway, I have nothing much to say, so I thought I'd have a think about the five albums I'd take if I stuck on a desert island - with something to play them on. It's better than whinging about a public holiday which doesn't feel like a public holiday. 

So, what would I take if I was stuck on an island? 

There are some hard choices to be made. But here we go. 

1)    The Hoodoo Gurus - Stoneage Romeos



I've loved this band forever - in particular, this album. You can dance to it, and sing along. It's got great songs, like Leilani, Tojo, I Want You Back and I was a Kamikaze Pilot on it. It's fun. It cheers me up. Why wouldn't I take it? Seriously great Australian Music. 


2) The Pixies - Surfer Rosa / Come On Pilgrim


It was a tossup between this and Doolittle. You wouldn't expect me to go to a desert island without at least one Pixies album. Little known fact - Doolittle is the perfect gym workout album - just as good as The Best of Blondie. Really gets your heart rate up. But this has to be the seminal Pixies album. Fun, gritty, danceable and jsut awesome. Besides, how can you survive on an island without Where is my mind? being played on repeat?

3) Searching for Sugarman - Rodriguez


I was late to the Rodriguez bandwagon - probably because I wasn't raised in South Africa - but this is phenomenal stuff. It hails from the late 720s. Rodriguez is a poet and a musician - and he's sublime. This comes along as something more mellow to while away the nights. 

4) Rum, Sodomy and the Lash - The Pogues


This is my angry music - what I play when I need to let off steam. Give me a tin whistle, a fiddle, a bodhran and the musical stylings of Shan McGowan and I will calm down in a bit. There is something about Irish music which cleanses the soul. I'm sad to say, I must be on my way, so buy me beer and whisky cos I'm going far away.... I normally play this LOUD going down the Monash Freeway late at night. It's great. 

5) Ten Summoner's Tales - Sting


This is my album. It's got a special place in my heart - early nineties wonder stuff. It has to be there.

It's funny how we don't listen to albums any more end to end. I'll admit, I'm a big one for best of compilations, but there are some albums which are just too sublime and need to be played regulary and often,

On my also ran list includes: 

  • Transformer - Lou Reed
  • Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Morrisette
  • Nevermind - Nirvana
  • I do not want what I have not got - Sinead O'Connor
  • Some Otis Redding
  • Parklife - Blur
  • Some Dire Straits
  • Lots of Paul Simon / Simon and Garfunkel
  • When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? - Billie Eilish
  • Stop Making Sense - Talking Heads
  • Some Radiohead
  • Some Coldplay
  • So - Peter Gabriel
  • Californication - Red Hot Chilli Peppers
  • The Blind Leading the Naked - The Violent Femmes
  • Dummy - Portishead
  • Synchronicity - The Police
  • An Awesome Wave - Alt-J
Oh who am I kidding. I couldn't survive on five albums. 

Never to mind - and thank goodness for streaming services. I hope the island has good wifi.


Today's Song: 





No comments: