Friday, October 2, 2020

(What's the Story) Morning Glory

 Level Four Lockdown: Day Sixty-One

Mood: It's Friday. What more can be said?

I know I should change my breakfast television viewing, but it's hard to change long standing habits. Besides, where will I find my daily dose of mildly offensive right-wing outrage, wrapped up in cotton wool and served with a pile of shit if I don't watch Karl Stefanivic and the even more annoying Allison Langdon (who is only marginally more palatable than Deb Knight, and nowhere near as classy as Lisa Wilkinson - who used to be the reason I watched it to begin with).

Okay, I confess, one of the reasons I do tune into the Today show. There is entertainment value when you throw things at the telly on Friday mornings when Peter Dutton comes on (Chicken wire has been installed to protect it). And Pauline Hanson, though thankfully they've kicked her off for being a moronic racist. Jacqui Lambie shows up sometimes - I will give her five minutes as she's less inclined to sell herself out. (sometimes).

I also watch the Today Show for the entertainment section. Movies and music get discussed daily and it helps keep me up on a few of the trends. I've got a lot of time for Brooke Boney, who has a decent head on her shoulder.

So this morning, during the 7.45 slot, they celebrated the album, (What's The Story) Morning Glory's 25th birthday. 

There are very few albums which can transport me back to a place like this one. 

It's an album I can sing from end to end, quite happily. It came out in my annus horribilus, 1997, but it came out after the worst of the dust has settled. 

You only have to play Wonderwall and I'm transported back to London, normally down the the Red Lion pub after drama class, with a pint in one hand and a plate of jalepeno poppers in the other. There were nights when we'd go out after. I remember one night going clubbing with the group, holding the hand of the bloke I was singing (what was his name?) singing Champagne Supernova as we made our way towards Soho. 

Of course, the album was on repeat at the downstairs neighbour's place - an Aussie/Kiwi flat, full of people I'm still in touch with. You Gotta Roll with It, Hello, and Don't Look Back in Anger are songs that would roll out of their kitchen window, or get played at the every regular back yard get togethers we used to have. 

This is an album that became part of the zeitgeist - one that can date me as much as Alanis Morrissette's Jagged Little Pill. But this one lingers with a different beat. Where as Jagged Little Pill reminds me of people, this reminds me of specific times, specific moments.

Any my favourite song off the album?  Cast No Shadow. It's the one ballad on the album that never did that well, but I think it shows Oasis at it's best.

I've been in a bit of a reflective mode today. How can that have been 25 years?


Someday you will find me

Caught beneath the landslide

In a champagne supernova in the sky


Today's Song:





No comments: