Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Five Minute Rituals

Going out at night is still something of an enigma. It really doesn't feel that right yet. 

Tonight, I made an effort, and it was a matter of remembering the rituals. 

After a quick walk after work, I hit the shower, washed my hair as it was in need of a wash. Cleanse, tone and moisturise the face. Some body lotion for the rest of me, paying attention to my feet - they need it, Fine for working from home, but not for meeting friends.

I put on a dress - a comfortable dress, but still, a dress. I changed my underwear, not for any reason other than I wanted to feel fresh.

Then there's the makeup. Foundation - I have four bottles of foundation in the bathroom cupboard - Marc Jacobs, Dior, a slightly darker one I picked up in India (okay for summer) and a Thin Lizzy one, which is good for a cheaper brand. Using the foundation brush, I applied the stuff, feeling the mask go up as my complexion smoothed out. 

A bit of bronzer, doubling as blush goes on next.  The I start work on the eyes. Nothing dramatic, neutral tones applied with a brush. Three colours, beige, a deeper brown and a cream - all blended and put on with a measured ease after years of application. 

I spend a bit more time on my eyeliner, pulling the wings out - not too far, not too think, but just right. The texta like brush is easy to use. Then two coats of mascara - a layer of primer and a layer of Benefit Bad Girl Bang.

And finally lipstick, a muted brown. No red lipstick tonight - we're out with friends - it's not the daily war paint.

Bit it struck me as I was getting ready, I used to to this every morning as I got ready for work. A five minute ritual, normally the last thing I did before leaving for work.

I can't imagine going back to this, every morning, slathering on the war paint, wearing structured clothes - putting on the armour to go out and defent the day. It's been that long. It feels strange. 

Allegedly, we're going back into the office part time in February. We will see. 

Today's Song:



1 comment:

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

Glad I don't have to worry about make up.

:o)

Cheers

PM