Wednesday, January 20, 2021

The Celebration

 Norty turned 50 today. 

50 is a big deal. It should be a big deal. It's a huge milestone. It's a big thing to get your head around the fact you've been on the planet for half a century, and Norty has not been having a good time of this. She's not been having a good time of it at all - I think she's been in a bit of denial about the whole thing. I used the other approach when I turned 50 - faced it head on, took some friends to Bali and had a ball. 

Waking this morning, I posted on her Facebook page the following:


It needed the Sandra Boynton comic because she is god and the 'Hippo Birdie Two Ewe' version of Happy Birthday is gold. 

This evening I drove down to the beachside suburb where she lives for her birthday dinner with her brother, his kids and some friends. It was lovely. 

Walking in a bit late (no surprises) I handed over a bottle of French champagne, as now, being a bit older, it is always good to have a bottle of decent French champagne in the fridge. It was given to help her get over the shock of this large occassion.

For me, fifty has been great. I tried to remember I was 50 this morning when Cleo put me through my paces. We did something different today - hip thrusters with a 40 kilo bar across my hips (I've been doing them unweighted for years). I managed 12 of the sods, before admitting that 30 kilos would probably be better for me (it was) Mind you, Cleo was doing these with 80 kilos on the bar - but she's been doing these forever. 


The thing that gets me is that I don't feel like I've done anything with my life.

I know I have.

But sometimes I don't think I've done enough.

There are things I want to do, but have no idea how to do them.

Maybe it's about time I worked on some of these things.

Just as funerals tend to make you ponder your own mortality, more and more, I'm feeling that birthdays are making me see the holes in my life, think about what's yet to be done.

I didn't tell Norty this. 

But she will be fine. She had a good day. She's got a big weekend planned. And all is well with the world. 

French champagne always helps too.


Today's song:



No comments: