Sunday, January 31, 2021

Animals

I have other writing to do today - I also have a recalcitrant cat wanting my attention, so no preamble, other than the heat has gone away and been replaced with humidity. Joy. 

Questions, as always, provided by Bev at Sunday Stealing

 1.   What is your favorite animal and why?

My favourite animal is my cat, Lucifer - because he is my cat, and despite all of his foibles, we love each other very much. He's a treasure.

2.   Are people animals? What separates humans from animals?

Yes, I believe humans are animals. Unfortunately, humans have the need to self-destruct - most animals don't have that. 

3.   Which animal is the most dangerous?

After the human being? Probably the average house cat. They would rule the world if we let them. 

4.   What should you do if a bear approaches you?

No idea. Probably stand completely still, close your eyes and pray. We don't have bears in Australia. 

5.   Do you like dogs? Why do people call the dog, man’s best friend?

I love dogs. You can't get a friend more loyal or loving than a dog. I'd have a dog if I had the room and the time. 

6.   Do you enjoy going to the zoo? Some people consider zoos to be cruel environments for animals. What do you think?

I like well designed, animal sensitive zoos, where the animals welfare is paramount. Thankfully the zoos in Australia are like this - lots of open range zoos, education and what appear to be well tended, happy animals. If the animals' welfare is not the first thought, the animal shouldn't be there. 

7.   Where is the best place to see animals in your country? In the world?

I hate to say this, but I love seeing the kangaroos from my mother's kitchen window. I never get tired of this. For a more commercial venture, if you want to see Australian animals, Healesville sanctuary on the outskirts of Melbourne is great. I could spend hours in the platypus house.  

8.   Are you a vegetarian? What makes some people give up eating meat?

Not a vegetarian, but I do like to ensure my meat is ethically sourced. The ethics around eating meat are fraught. I get why people go vegan or vegetarian for ethical reasons. Doesn't mean I'm going to do it. 

9.   Which animal is most helpful to humans?

Dogs. So many tasks they take on. Companionship, service animals, friendship, burgular alarm, ball collector, drug sniffer, quarantine officer... the list is endless. And they like belly rubs which is good for humans as they take away stress. 

10  If you could be any animal (besides human), which animal would you like to be?

A well loved house cat. I think they have great lives. Get fed on demand and sleep all day. What more could you want?

11.  Who would win in a fight between a tiger and a lion?

I don't know and I don't want to think about it. 

12.  What do you think about hunting animals? Would you like to try it?

Hunting animals? This comes down to two camps. I think hunting big game animals should be completely outlawed and those who participate should be sent out into the veldt and hunted themselves.  (A la Trump's sons - like to see them last more than five minutes without their guns) When it comes to pest control, do it with a clean kill. If the beast can be used for meat, even better. 

13.   Books like “Watership Down” and “Animal Farm” give animals human characteristics like human thoughts or language. Is this how you think animals really are? Or are those really just stories about people?

You can do university courses on anthropomorphy and it's uses. These are really stories about people. 

14.  Some animals are endangered due to illegal poaching. How do you feel about this issue?

See question 12. It makes me very, very angry. Poach the poachers I say. 

15.  If we can bring an extinct animal from the past back with genetic engineering, should we do it? Which animals should we bring back?

I don't think we should bring back animals as what's done is done, and genetic engineering. If one animal could come back, I'd like to see the thylacine come back. Thylacine - the Tasmanian tiger. There is so much we don't now about them - they've always fascinated me. 

Unfortunately, I think we humans have wreaked more destruction on the world than any other creature. It's tragic. 

Today's Song: 



5 comments:

Plastic Mancunian said...

HI Pand,

Great answers - and I never thought about coming back as a cat. They have such a great life; my two are very lucky - they get to rule the house and we are their slaves, pandering to their every whim.

If only they lived 250 years (llike a giant tortoise).

:o)

Cheers

PM

Kwizgiver said...

I wish I was a cat lover. I'm firmly in the dog camp.

CountryDew said...

I agree, humans are the worst animal on the planet.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I would come back as a cat if it was certain I would be living with humans like the Husband and me. You've reminded me why some humans are the most dangerous animals.

zippiknits...sometimes said...

I’m so with you on 8, and Since I have to eat a little meat.
You are so right to have assessed the cat as a take over species from humans if we should get thin on the ground. They have the closest thing to our nervous system outside of the great apes. Sadly, this has lead to them being used in experiments. Humans are so arrogant.