Tuesday, January 19, 2021

The Dead Pool

It's Dead Pool time. 

Dead Pool? 

No, not the cartoon character.

The Dead Pool, the rather wrong game which I've played for many years, which is yes, somewhat grim, but also gives you something to ponder. Serves me right for hanging out with recalcitrant journalists. 

The rules are simple. Each player provides a list of ten people they think will not be here at midnight on 31 December 2021. These people need to be celebrities and public figures. Ther passings need to be of public record. If you're playing game I've been playing you need to provide two nationally sourced references of the persons death. 

The people on the list have to be well know. This is not about knocking off  your nanna.

It's also to be done with a pure heart. I wish none of these people dead, but I'm not sure they will make it out of 2021 alive. COVID has upped the anti too.

If I was playing for real, $10 would be going into the pot and those I was playing would do the same. on 1 January would see who had predicted the most celebrity passings - and they get the pot. 

In our game we received two points for anybody selected who was under 40. 

Anyway, I've been thinking about my list. 

Be advised, that with all but one of this list, I wish none of them dead - I just don't know what their time lines are like. With any luck they will all be here at the end ofthe year - but you never know.

Anyway, here is my Dead Pool list for 2021 (with rationales)

1. Prince Phillip

The old bugger is 99 and looks like he has formalahyde in his veins already. (Passed 9/4/2021)

2. Betty White

She turned 99 on Sunday and and she's still sprightly, but the age is a factor. 

3. Olivia Newton-John

I hope not for this one, but she's not had a good run with cancer over the last ten years. I hope she keeps going, but you never know.

4. Neale Daniher

He's an absolute legend and has done more for Motor Neurone Disease than anybody else - unfortunately it also cuts your timeline short. 

5.  Donald Trump

Okay, this is a bit of wishful thinking, but have you seen him? He doesn't look healthy at all. If he does go, I hope he's not made into some Q-Anon martyr. 

6.   Rupert Murdoch

Also wishful thinking - but he's nearly 90 - also looks like he's running on embalming fluid and a car battery. 

7.  Shane McGowan (lead singer of The Pogues)

Very unsure how he is still alive now, he drunk his liver (and teeth) away years ago. 

8. Patrick Dempsey

He does a lot of motor racing - not the safest sport. 

9. Pop Benedict XVI

He's 93. He's pottering round a  monastery. Not the 'new' Pope. Pope Benedict (the last one) is on here because of his advanced years. 

10. Shannen Doherty

One of the younger ones (49), but has a well documented struggle with cancer. 

As I said straight up, I wish none of these people gone from the planet - just not sure how much time they have left. 


Today's song:



No comments: