Monday, January 25, 2021

The Lunch

 I got to mark something off the bucket list yesterday. It wasn't a big bucket list item, like walk the Camino in Spain or get married, but it was something lovely and as good as I thought it would be.

It was lunch at The Salopian Inn, a McLaren Vale stalwart, it's been there since I was a teenager and it's always had a hankering to go there. The reputation is great, with a penchant for using local, seasonal ingredients, a lot of them grown in their garden.

Over Christmas, I was talking to my mate Sarey who is more of a foodie than I am. Knowing I had to come back this weekend, she instantly booked a table and the reservation was made. As with many things, I often find I don't have somebody to do things with. Having a multi-course meal at a restaurant is something you really don't want to do alone. Also, with COVID restrictions, bookings were limited, so we were lucky to get the table for the three of us - as Sarey's husband joined us. 

What can I say about this lunch? The reputation  It was magnificent - and worth every penny ($324 for the three of us, which included a round of gin and tonics.) We went for the option called Feed Me. They bring the food You eat the food. And at $85 without wine, how can you say no?

And what did we have?

Well:

Course One: 

Well not really a course, but the bread and butter.


The bread was fresh baked, the butter hand churned and sprinkled with Himalayan salt. Good butter is everything.

Then came course two:


Hiramasa Kingfish Sashimi with Salsa Verde, Lime Yoghurt, Spring Onion Oil and Tortilla Crisps. This was a favourite of mine. Small, yet flavourful, it just popped. Kingfish sashimi has always been a favourite.

The next course - oh my. A high end version of an old favourite of mine. 


Wild Caught Prawn Dumplings, with Roasted Chilli oil, coriander  and pickled ginger. As a prawn dumpling lover, these were amazing. 

This is also not a place to come if you don't like coriander (weirdos that you are :) )

The fourth course came out soon after. 


Steamed Buns with garlic and chilli sauce, red braised Free Range Pork, ginger and Hoisin.

This was Sarey's favourite - the sambal gave it all an interesting twist.

Next up, an Australian twist on an Asian staple. 

Red Braised Paroo Kangaroo tail, chilli caramel jam and pickled daikon.

In Melbourne, Red Spice Road does a pork belly version of this dish - I loved the kangaroo done this way. Genius.

And that was the end of the small plates. The palate cleanser came next:


A perfectly formed quennelle of fenugreek, curry leaf and ginger sorbet. On the hot day, it was perfect. Balanced, yet spicy, the curryleaf ofsetting the fenugreek. I could have had more of this for dessert. 

Then came the big dishes - and by this time we were half stuffed:


Spencer Gulf Sand Whiting, buckwheat, zucchini, truss tomatoes with almond cream. This was bliss. Thte almond cream amazing. Food of joy, served with a big green salad.

The came the duck.


Adelaide Hills Pasture raised duck, eggplant & pomegranate salad and a pistachio & saffron pilaf rice.


This appears to have been our undoing as half the duck and most of the pilaf came home with me in a doggie bag. Duck and I have an interesting relationship. I think confit of duck even more so. But we don't need to talk about that now. Let's say I should have brought the gall bladder meds and some Imodium with me.

And of course, the was dessert. 


Salopian Icecream Sandwich , nectarine & vanilla parfait with coconut & almond meringue and  nectarine caramel - like what can I say? Thankfully the dessert stomach is still there. 

This was all washed down with a gin and tonic. There's about 70 gins on the wine list. I settled for an Ableside Kifaru gin, wiht dried orange and cranberries for the botanicals, and watered down with Strangelove Dirty Tonic. I could sit there and sample a lot more of these treats, but driving made me settle for just the one. 

The staff at the Salopian Inn are fantastic, attentive without being in your face, the ambience subtle, glorious, with local artists.



This was a fantastic afternoon. It's just a pity that my gall bladder has had a major hissy fit this evening - I blame the duck. I always blame the duck. It's the same as what happened in Bali with duck. Maybe I should just stay away from the buggers. 

Today's Song: 



No comments: