Sunday, January 3, 2021

The End of the Year Meme

On the good side of things - I've made it back to Victoria, no border closures affected me and all is well. On the not great side of things, we're trying to knock a COVID outbreak on the head. It started in Sydney few weeks ago, but it's come down here. Here's hoping we have this contained. They closed the border to New South Wales yesterday - anybody returning from there in the last few days has to test and go into quarantine - and they are monitoring this with vigour. Mind you, masks have only just become mandatory in inside areas in Sydney - we've never not been wearing them. Hopefully the NSW government sees reason and abandons a crowd for the cricket... it's an interesting diachotomy the New South Wales /Victoria divide. Now it is our turn to berate another state for letting this bloody virus escape. You can't come in or out of Sydney without 14 days mandatory quarantine now. Long may it remain.

Questions, as always, from Bev at Sunday Stealing.

First things first, did you have a good year?

Despite everything that 2020 brought, it was not a bad year. Being an introvert, I found lockdown a bit of a godsend. I'm lighter, fitter, solvent, employed, I have friends, interests and got some stuff accomplished. What more do you want? 

What was your favorite article of clothing this year?

This was the year of ugg boots and trakkie dacks (sweat pants is what you call them Americans) I love that this has been my work-from-home uniform. I bought some real ugg boots, made from real sheepskin during the year, with a heavy sole. They are fantastic. 

What song sums up this year for you?

It's either Am I Ever Going to See Your Face Again by The Angels (Aussie Anthem - and you have to sing the interjections in the chorus) 


Shut Down by Australian Crawl 

Or Catch my Disease by Ben Lee

Albinoni's Adagio in G Minor is up there too. 

What was your favorite movie of the year?

Oh, that goes to Parasite. Phenomenal film. A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood and The Gentlemen were great too, but Parasite is a brilliant film. I saw all of these before the first shutdown. Hoping the cinemas stay open as there are some great films coming out. 


Did an actor/actress catch your attention for the first time this year?

Anya Taylor-Joy and Daniel Levy. Both are on Netflix - Taylor-Joy stole the show in The Queen's Gambit. Daniel Levy got me as David on Schitt's Creek. He's a comic genius. 

Favorite new TV show?

I've finally, maybe surprisingly got into Schitt's Creek. I love the pathos, the humour, the characters. It took a bit to get into, but I'm on the last season now and I will hate to see it over. Ew, David!

Did you make any big permanent changes this year?

Not really. I'm eating a lot better. I'm 8 kilos (15 pounds) lighter. I have a lot more money in the bank. All good things. 

What was one nice thing you did for yourself?

Other than buying the ugg boots? I did the Faber course - made some great friends and got writing again. 

Did you develop a new obsession?

Not really, other than watching The West Wing again, just to see what a nicer, kinder America might look like. 

Did you move?

No.

Did you get a pet?

Yes. I am now Lucifer's mother. Lucifer is a stroppy black cat who is currently being looking after by my mother while I paint out my flat. He's be looking like Pepe Le Pew if he was around here. I can see it now - he'd be into the paint. Can't have that. 



Do you regret not doing anything?

No, life is too short for regrets. 

Do you regret doing something?

It's not in my nature to regret things. 

Did anyone/thing make you so mad it stayed with you for days?

Yes, but I don't really want to talk about it. I won't bother you with the ending of my relationship. It's not that it was done - just how he went about it. In a much better place now. Didn't take too long. 

Did you lose anyone close to you?

Yes. My Uncle John died in May. Due to the Coronavirus restrictions I couldn't get back to Adelaide for the funeral. I really felt this one. He was like my Dad. 

Who was important to you this year but wasn’t important last year?

My current workmates have seen me through this year. They're great people. I started in the job in February and I'm very grateful the job was offered to me. I'm very lucky in this way. 

Who wasn’t as important to you this year as they were last year?

All my other friends are important - I just haven't seen as much of them. 

What was the best moment of the year for you?

Oh, that would be being accepted into the Faber Course. It's one of the best things I have done. I'm so pleased I had this to see me through 2020.

What was the worst?

The death of my Uncle. That got to me bigtime. He would have turned 79 yesterday. 

What have you learned about yourself this year that you didn’t know in the years prior?

I am far more resilient than I think I am. I am far more blessed that I give credit for. When I stick to something, I get stuff done. Oh, and I am ready for a better, more fulfilling relationship. And this is okay too. 

What do you wish for others for the coming year?

Health, stability and happiness. And maybe a sense of humour and the perspective of others not so fortunate. 

What do you wish for yourself?

Oh, I so want to hop on a plane and travel somewhere wonderful. I hope this might happen later in the year. Love, health, stability - all of those would be great too. 

Today's Song:



7 comments:

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

Mrs PM liked Parasite and is currently watching Schitt's Creek. Not my cup of tea but she recommends them both.

I am desperate to travel too.

Welcome 2021 - please be better.

:o)

Cheers

PM

CountryDew said...

I really must look into Schitts Creek, everyone raves about it. I am not much of a TV watcher. I am sorry you lost your uncle.

Me, Myself, and I said...

Trackie-dacks. Love it. I also loved Anya Taylor-Joy this year...Queen's Gambit was a triumph!

Kwizgiver said...

I love all the music you posted!

zippiknits...sometimes said...

We share the love of UGGS!!
I so understand wanting to travel. I am another one who wants desperately to do so.
thank you for posting all the music.
Really sorry to hear that your uncle passed away, and you didn't get to say goodbye to this very special person.

Ordinarily Just Me said...

LOL-loving that you named your new kitty Lucifer...

2 gators said...

LOL lucifer is a funny name for kitty. I am so sorry you lost an uncle I also lost my uncle and other dad :( I also am sorry about the relationship issue, been there. Hope you have a great week