Saturday, January 30, 2021

Movie Review: Wonder Woman 1984

 Film: Wonder Woman 1984

Stars: 3.5

Cinema: Hoyts Victoria Gardens

I was told this wasn't worth viewing. I was told it was a bit crap. I knew that this had been slammed by the critics. I know I could have paid Amazon $30 to view it on my television. 

In need of some light entertainment and being able to get cheap tickets to the local Hoyts, and not in the mood for a movie about a magpie, I took myself along to this last night.

And was pleasantly surprised. Okay, my expectations were low, but this was not as bad as people were saying. I mean it was definitely better than say Aquaman or the last Pirates of the Caribbean movie. Okay, it's not up there with the Marvel stalwarts, but I quite liked this. 

So there. 

Yes, there isn't much of a plot past an oily, corrupt snakeoil salesman gets possession of a powerful crystal which grants wishes and attempts to take over the world. It's up to Diana Prince (Wonder Woman / Gal Gadot) to help save the world. Thrown into this is a sulky Kristin Wiig, a reincarnated Chris Pine and a cameo by Linda Carter, the original Wonder Woman, at the very end of the movie. In the role of Maxwell Lord, Wonder Woman's nemesis, Pedro Pascal shines in his awful eighties suits and dreadful long flick haircut. Cinematic gold. Did we really dress that badly back then?

That's about as complicated as it gets - a good movie for a Friday night decompression session and easy to take in. For somebody who doesn't like too much bloody violence, this ticked my boxes. 

And what did I like? 

Well, the eighties fashions were superb. Brilliant even. Down to the exercise gear and the bad perms and the shoulder pads and everything the 80s had to offer. 

My other joy from this film - women were allowed to have lines on their face. There's not skinny minnies, women are strong, vital and athletic - and they are allowed to age with grace. This is a great thing. Connie Nielsen and Robin Wright are testement to this. 

And it's a clear cut good versus evil type story. It's not that hard to understand. The action builds to a nice crescendo. Everything you'd expect from a DC film.

Standouts for me were Kristin Wiig as Barbara, Diana's downtrodden colleague. Pedro Pascal as Max was over the top as a good baddie should be. Chris Pine and Gal Gadot were as expected in their roles as Diana Prince and Steve Trevor - good - fine - on form - but not outstanding. And that's okay too.

Maybe, after the spate of excellent Marvel films we've grown to expect too much of our action films. I went to this hoping to be entertained. I was. Job done.  As somebody who's not a real action aficionado, it provided enough of a story to keep me interested, even if it was a bit twee.

Also, I think seeing it on the very big screen was a good move. I think it may have lots a bit translating onto the telly. All the little things from the eighties that stood out here could be missed, and they were part of the film's charm. 

Today's Song:



No comments: